PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
mystery shimmy 05 GT vert

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grasshopper77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2016, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default mystery shimmy 05 GT vert

bought my gt with 59k on the clock . drove it home about two hours from outside philly. drove smooth and straight , very happy. I drive this car on nice days and for excursions, sometimes to go into nyc about an hour drive. about 3 weeks ago , im on the interstate at about 75-85 mph varying , and all of a sudden I start getting a progressively worse shimmy , bad enough to where I finally pull over to check the tires (felt like flat tire shimmy). tires were fine thank god, but the condition persisted. when I slowed for traffic, it felt and sounded like a caliper hanging up or broken pad or something (scraping sound like metal / metal). I tried excersizing the brakes by applying at different forces. after a while , it went away by itself and the car again felt fine.cit did this for my wife again when she was just driving locally some days later.
at the soonest opportunity I replaced rotors and pads. however the ones on there looked fine , but I did it anyway. the calipers looked good , the piston boots weren't torn , nothing to indicate jammed or stuck piston. while I had the wheels off I looked at all the front end links and checked for play. everything still is original and tight. does this sound like a bad caliper? the car is great shape only 61k miles. this condition is a bit unnerving
right now I am on new pads and rotors. car brakes straight , no shimmy or pulsing. seems fine , but I had gotten a hint of that shimmy again the other day , but was able to slow enough and do some braking and it went away. again , it starts to come on slowly and I cant peg it to any particular speed
Old 30 Jun 2016, 08:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: mystery shimmy 05 GT vert

If it were me, I'd move to the front tires to the back and see if the problem goes away, you might have something going on with one of the tires or wheels.
chuzz likes this.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 30 Jun 2016, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

My car gets a pretty bad shake at times. It is intermittent and comes and goes. I am almost positive that it is the motor mounts (or the strut mounts, whatever the hell we are calling them).
Old 30 Jun 2016, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
My car gets a pretty bad shake at times. It is intermittent and comes and goes. I am almost positive that it is the motor mounts (or the strut mounts, whatever the hell we are calling them).
this crossed my mind as well. when at idle, the car has , IMO , significant vibration compared to the smoothness of the engine. are these cars known to have an idle that is felt more than the usual 4 cyl?

what has me thinking other , is the fact that when rilling along in slow traffic when it first happened, I could hear the grinding , and feel what feels like a bad warp in the rotor. just very strange that when is cleared itself up later that night , there was no pulsing or weirdness in the brake pedal or steering wheel , and th car pulled up straight! ive never encountered anything like this

Last edited by domer94; 30 Jun 2016 at 11:37 am.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 12:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

May be bad wheel bearing
Old 30 Jun 2016, 03:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

While you were screwing around with the brakes, did you by any chance check the brake hoses? They wear out from the inside out. Start at one end and pinch the hose. If there's a weak spot, you'll be able to pinch the hose pretty close to a complete shut off of fluid. If not that, then I'd take a close look at the half-shafts. You don't have a leaking grease boot one one do you? Other suggestions I can think of have already been mentioned.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 30 Jun 2016, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I ll check the brake hoses. this is the first time I have had the front wheels off the car as I have just really had it for a few weeks and not driven it much. I just drove it today locally to do some errands in the nice weather and it was smooth as usual, speeds varying to 55 mph. the best way I can describe that shimmy is it felt like my tire was going flat. I know all of you have experienced that at some point. started slight and got bad enough where the wheel was shaking about 1.5" inches back and forth. when I did have the wheels off, being the first "personal " upclose inspection since buyin it, I was pretty thorogh and did check for play / leaking struts / broken dust boots on tierods/ ball joints... all the usual stuff. nothing unusual , but that's not saying something may have not been noticed
Old 30 Jun 2016, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Without sounding to much like an arse...it really sounds like you do have the experience to be diagnosis a chassis issue as you are describing. Because how you are describing the condition I would recommend that you take it to a shop that offers and specializes in front alignments. These shops are also and should be chassis experienced. They "will" find and tell you what the issues are caused from.

Your description is much like a PT we had in the shop a year ago. We found the issue and was not cheap which was one single part needed to be replace because of a worn pinion. The complete assembly. This is not a guess and I am NOT saying this is in your case, only an example of other and many single or combination of things that could cause what you describe.

It is a safety issue that needs to be addressed for your safety and those others passengers in your PT and in vehicles sharing the road with you.