PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strut Info

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2018, 07:18 am
Banned

Default Re: Strut Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Do you know if we can pick these codes up from the VIN report we can get via the Chrysler website..?
You cannot.

But if you PM me the VIN to your PT, I have a very good dealership that I patronize and they have always been very helpful with providing information.

I have helped Martin in Sweden several times with info on his PT.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Cheers - That would be handy - see if they fancy doing 2

Diesel VIN is: 1A8FYN8017T551871 (more important if they won't do 2)

2.0L Petrol: 1C8FYNB981T615194
Old 21 Nov 2018, 08:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Cheers - That would be handy - see if they fancy doing 2

Diesel VIN is: 1A8FYN8017T551871 (more important if they won't do 2)

2.0L Petrol: 1C8FYNB981T615194
This is from the Vehicle Information Report for your '01:

This is from the Vehicle Information Report for your '07:

Both of your PT's have the Euro Suspension - Sales Code SDF which you will see in the Parts Catalogs, corresponding to the parts that your PT was built with.

I have also sent you a PM with links of where you can download the complete reports for both of your PT's from my DropBox.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This is from the Vehicle Information Report for your '01:

This is from the Vehicle Information Report for your '07:

Both of your PT's have the Euro Suspension - Sales Code SDF which you will see in the Parts Catalogs, corresponding to the parts that your PT was built with.

I have also sent you a PM with links of where you can download the complete reports for both of your PT's from my DropBox.
Got 'em mate - thank you

If I'm reading them correctly, the springs are the same on the rear for both cars - but on the fronts, they are different.

01 front springs: Left: ZCE - Right - ZRE

07 front springs: Left: ZCK - Right - ZRK

So it seems from that, that not only are springs rated differently per model - which I thought might be so - but they are also rated differently by side - again, perhaps logically, given weight of gearbox -v- weight of engine and the balance point of the two bolted together?

Obviously, I need to work out what the rating is for each of the different springs - but it just shows: after market Co's merrily sell you a pair of springs/struts with no thought to what goes where. If they "side" them at all (not aware that they do) - they don't specify which goes where to match the original spec.

If you don't mind... I'm going to see if I can find a VIN from a 1.6L - and then we can see how that differs to the 2.0L and the diesel.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thinking further about this... wouldn't a way to find out the specs and poundages of individual springs be to get the part number of eg: "ZCE" - AKA, the front left spring of a 2001 2.0L petrol, and from there it shouldn't be impossible to find a Spec Sheet on that part number, and the poundage of the spring?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 12:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Got 'em mate - thank you

If I'm reading them correctly, the springs are the same on the rear for both cars - but on the fronts, they are different.

01 front springs: Left: ZCE - Right - ZRE

07 front springs: Left: ZCK - Right - ZRK

So it seems from that, that not only are springs rated differently per model - which I thought might be so - but they are also rated differently by side - again, perhaps logically, given weight of gearbox -v- weight of engine and the balance point of the two bolted together?

Obviously, I need to work out what the rating is for each of the different springs - but it just shows: after market Co's merrily sell you a pair of springs/struts with no thought to what goes where. If they "side" them at all (not aware that they do) - they don't specify which goes where to match the original spec.

If you don't mind... I'm going to see if I can find a VIN from a 1.6L - and then we can see how that differs to the 2.0L and the diesel.
Quote:
Thinking further about this... wouldn't a way to find out the specs and poundages of individual springs be to get the part number of eg: "ZCE" - AKA, the front left spring of a 2001 2.0L petrol, and from there it shouldn't be impossible to find a Spec Sheet on that part number, and the poundage of the spring?
This is from the '07 Parts Catalog:

Front Springs:

Rear Springs:

In each case, it appears that they are the same on each side, for the front and rear.

I think the spec info is going to be nearly impossible to obtain.

Chrysler is not going to reveal any specs about their items. I've tried in the past and they always cite "proprietary info" as the reason that they can't reveal any specs, other than it meets Chrysler specifications.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 02:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
This is from the '07 Parts Catalog:

Front Springs:

Rear Springs:

In each case, it appears that they are the same on each side, for the front and rear.

I think the spec info is going to be nearly impossible to obtain.

Chrysler is not going to reveal any specs about their items. I've tried in the past and they always cite "proprietary info" as the reason that they can't reveal any specs, other than it meets Chrysler specifications.
Heh you're probably right - but it's good to know they are the same part number each side.

If you fancy working your magic once more, here's a 1.6L VIN:

1C8FYN8992T230364

I'm thinking of buying this car (as I think I mentioned elsewhere) so it will be interesting to see the full spec, as well as to find out the spring info
Old 22 Nov 2018, 02:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Nonsense Sinbad

Last edited by Sinbad; 22 Nov 2018 at 02:44 am.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 04:14 am
Senior Cruiser

"Proprietary Information" could be a code word for 'I don't know and I'm too lazy to find out'. Probably a spec from engineering not commonly accessible. The 1.6L springs might be too wimpy.

The diesel weighs about 270 pounds more than a 2.0L manual. As a quick test, find a couple of 135 pound young ladies and have them sit on the front fenders of your 2.0L near the engine location. See if this height is what your looking for.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 07:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
"Proprietary Information" could be a code word for 'I don't know and I'm too lazy to find out'. Probably a spec from engineering not commonly accessible. The 1.6L springs might be too wimpy.

The diesel weighs about 270 pounds more than a 2.0L manual. As a quick test, find a couple of 135 pound young ladies and have them sit on the front fenders of your 2.0L near the engine location. See if this height is what your looking for.
I tried that already - why do you think I'm posting here..?