PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strut Info

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2016, 01:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Strut Info

Hi All,

Looking to get new shocks and struts. I see a strut on RA as "Super Touring". This sounds great as a smooth and quiet ride is the goal. But are they worth it? Any recommendations for smooth and quiets shocks and struts?

What about replacing just the strut vs getting the whole strut assembly?

Thanks for any help.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 02:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Strut Info

I got the Monroe Sensa-trac shocks & struts from RA, best pricing available with shipping. My 05 PT GT has 52k miles on it, but noticed an improvement in the ride quality once installed. Rear shocks are simple to install, if your doing the struts yourself the quick-strut is the way to go, unless you have a shop to swap springs on the struts for you at a reasonable price. Either way if your able to turn a wrench & do your own maintenance it's not too difficult, couple of Youtube videos out there will show ease & technique of strut installation. So if a smooth like-new ride is what your looking for the Monroes provide that. Just saw a rebate is available thru 7/31/16 on the RA site, too.

If your looking for sportier ride or other, then I'm sure others can/will chime in on their choice or preferences. Let us know what you go with & how it turns out.

Good luck!!
VsandFords likes this.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 11 Jul 2016, 02:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Unless you have lowering springs installed, replacing the whole assembly, like a quick strut, is the way to go. They are so much easier to install and come with the strut mount that you need to replace anyway. I installed Monroe on all four corners on mine.
rckstein likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Jul 2016, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Unless you have lowering springs installed, replacing the whole assembly, like a quick strut, is the way to go. They are so much easier to install and come with the strut mount that you need to replace anyway. I installed Monroe on all four corners on mine.
Takes about 15 min per side using the quick strut.
VsandFords likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 11 Jul 2016, 04:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Any opinions on the "Super Touring" parts?
Old 12 Jul 2016, 04:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'll take the chirping crickets to mean that no one has tried them.

But thanks for the info!
Old 13 Jul 2016, 11:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Strut Info

I just recently replaced the Struts/ Shocks on ScrappyDoo (my wife's 2004/5 daily driver). It's high mileage, and showing its age now, but I love/ hate it

Given the age and general condition of the car, I didn't want to spend a small fortune on it, so I went with Shocks and Quick Struts from Prime Choice Auto. Now before I get shot down in flames for even mentioning them, I know these are cheap far eastern parts. But I can say this about them from first hand experience, they fit the car perfectly, improved the ride/ braking considerably and have something like 10-12K (km's) on them already (2+ months) without any issue whatsoever.

I was wary about buying them, given where they are manufactured, but really, my only concern with them might be that the strut bearings are not as good as the OEM parts and they may only last a few years. I'll be retiring the car by then I suspect, so for me it's not a huge deal. For the money I spent on them (really cheap), I have zero complaints. Worst case scenario is that I still have the car and need to do them again in the future

If I had been planning on keeping the car longer, I would probably have gone with the Monroes, or if really stuck, KYB's, although I find KYB's a little stiff/ harsh for general road use (great for sports and excellent on a bike).

Just giving you another option here if money is tight just now and your planning on keeping the car longer term. If you decide to go this route, I would suggest that you keep the original OEM springs and get them put on a set of decent quality strut inserts along with new OEM Strut Bearings as and when funds allow, then you can swap them over when the cheap parts wear out
Old 13 Jul 2016, 12:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Good info, thanks!
Old 13 Jul 2016, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToGo View Post
I'll take the chirping crickets to mean that no one has tried them.

But thanks for the info!
You questions can not be simply answered....There are way to many other questions that need to be asked and lots of information supplied from you for anyone to advise with better opinion what may serve your personal prefaces.

Its like asking about tire recommendation. Very few people on any forum try out several brands, sizes and compounds to really be able to give any really solid information regarding anything more then there present usage for recommendations.

In other words limited frame of references using different suspension parts on the same PT Cruiser.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 02:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Perhaps a better question would have been, has anybody tried the "super touring" struts?

And, what was your opinion?