PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Strut Nut Problem with BTG Tower Brace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2004, 01:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Strut Nut Problem with BTG Tower Brace

Has anybody been concerned with the minimal threads used on the strut studs when attaching the BTG strut tower brace? I didn't use Loctite when I first installed my BTG strut tower brace so I decided to remove the factory strut nuts and apply some Loctite this evening (I guess it was last night already) and one of the nuts (not the stud) on the strut stud stripped. I removed the BTG tower assembly and noticed that the factory spot weld on the strut tower had a big enough glob of metal that it was lifting up the BTG tower piece that the three nuts attach to on the one nut that I stripped. I carefully tried to file some of the excess glob of metal from the factory weld and after many file marks seemed to have removed some of it. I had some touchup paint so I covered my messy file marks already. I'm planning on going to the hardward store tomorrow (I mean latter today) and am thinking about using a thinner washer to get more threads attached. Maybe I should change out all the washers for thinner ones? Is it OK to use separate nuts and washers versus the factory ones that are attached? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 03:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Checked mine after your post. All 6 nuts on my BTG installation are the same, with about 1 full thread inside the nut still visible.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 05:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Almond Turbo - thanks for checking yours. Mine had about 4 threads showing so I must have different machining on my platforms than yours. My BTG strut tower brace was an early version for a non-turbo. I upgraded to the BTG turbo version simply by contacting PT-Tuning and having them send me the necessary brackets for the Turbo set-up (although pricey at $60 which is the price difference between the Turbo and non-turbo models). I also had PT-Tuning send me a new tower bar (not the platforms the bar attaches to) designed for the Turbo PT but didn't like it because it could easily be flexed by hand. My non-turbo bar is much stiffer. I suppose in some applications the flex might be a benefit in reducing understeer but I didn't like the fact that I could easily flex it by simply grabbing the bar and twisting.

Today I bought an 8mm course thread stainless steel nut and stainless steel washer and tried them on the problem stud. Wouldn't you know it, that gave me more threads covered because the washer is thinner than the factory one-piece nut/washer. Also, after torquing the nuts to 25 foot pounds the washer wasn't deformed so that was good. I also like the way silver looks versus the black factory hardware. I think I might go ahead and replace the rest of them except I just got done Loctiting all of them. Oh well, better safe than sorry.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 26 Jun 2004, 06:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just had a quick look at mine and it appears to be identical to what AlmondTurbo describes.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 01:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Blonde

where can i get the blanes hood struts?

Now with stage 1

Just a GT... Thats tearin\' arse on the driveway.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/themanfrmokinawa

14.626 @ 94.74
stage 0 , intake and exhaust only.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 01:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Blonde

where can i get the blanes hood struts?
http://home.pcmagic.net/blajess/#How...%20they%20cost

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

My idea of using stainless steel washer/nut for the strut tower stud didn't work out after all. The washer was too thin and dished out after a brisk drive. I went to my Chrysler dealer and bought the factory nut/washer and it reinstalled fine after my work mention in my previous post.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 07 Jul 2004, 09:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the Freedom Design strut tower brace and there are no threads visible. The bolt comes just to the top of the nut. I know it doesn't look as cool as the BTG, but it was only $110 delivered and I do feel a difference in that steering is tighter.

Old 09 Jul 2004, 07:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

I have the Freedom Design strut tower brace and there are no threads visible. The bolt comes just to the top of the nut. I know it doesn't look as cool as the BTG, but it was only $110 delivered and I do feel a difference in that steering is tighter.

hmmm, from the picture it looks like a turbo bay. Does freedom make two strut bars? N/A & Tubo? I have one on my 01. I was gonna buy a BTG, but if the freedom fits... I'll install that one my GT!!!
I don't mind the coolness factor, I like saving the $$$!!!
Old 09 Jul 2004, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Jeff, how's 'bout snapping a pic of the pass. side Cruise Control bracket?