PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT Steering knuckle differences

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2019, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: GT Steering knuckle differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
You can install the newer knuckle in your 01 without any issue. Of course you would need to have a wheel alignment done. I recommend the GT knuckle since you will get a bit better turning radius with them. There really is a noticeable difference. I had installed the knuckle from an 05, non turbo, manual car because, in theory, it would offer quicker steering. While I didn't notice the quicker steering, the turning radius went from "okay" to horrendous immediately.
My '03 GT has stock, original knuckles and the turning radius is horrendous. I can't imagine there is a worse radius out there. I have to make a k-turn on my wife's corner. You can easily do a straight u-turn with the Journey, Caravan, Quest, 200, Dart, my daughter's Civic, son's STI. I believe that even my Dad's Grand Cherokee makes it. I can't remember about the Challenger, but I ususally K-turn that to save the air dam and pricey tires from the dirt.
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.
Old 29 May 2019, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Same here. My little PT convertible needs about half a city block to turn around. I think a big diesel truck has a tighter turning radius than my PT.
myckee likes this.
Old 29 May 2019, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll need to watch for a set. Not much good here in Rhode Island, due to the rust and age of the cars now.
Old 30 May 2019, 08:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
My '03 GT has stock, original knuckles and the turning radius is horrendous. I can't imagine there is a worse radius out there. I have to make a k-turn on my wife's corner. You can easily do a straight u-turn with the Journey, Caravan, Quest, 200, Dart, my daughter's Civic, son's STI. I believe that even my Dad's Grand Cherokee makes it. I can't remember about the Challenger, but I ususally K-turn that to save the air dam and pricey tires from the dirt.
Oh I agree, the turning radius is not great to begin with, but install either of the non-GT options and it will be worse!
Old 30 May 2019, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Same here. My little PT convertible needs about half a city block to turn around. I think a big diesel truck has a tighter turning radius than my PT.
Well, whenever you need to replace the wheel bearings, you should pick up a set of GT spindles on one of your junkyard visits to install the new bearings in and try them. You have the middle of the road option now, but you will still notice an improvement with the GT.
chuzz likes this.