PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question: Wheels and PT Wheel Wells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2004, 10:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Question: Wheels and PT Wheel Wells

I'm not a boy genius on wheels, but I've pondering on the idea of changing my rims and attending some PT shows. I've notice that some of the rims leaves the PT wells and others don't. I've seen some PT's with 17x7.5 rims that don't leave the wheel wells, while others seem to patrude outward. Is there a trick or something I'm not really understanding? Or maybe also the tires have to do something with the perception.

The stock GT rims stay inside the wheel wells, which I like. The size of those rims are 17x6 with 205/50/17 tires.

I'm looking at 17x7.5 with 235/45/17 wheel/tires and 18x8 with 225/40/18 tires. My question with those sizes and tires which one would stay within the wheel wells the best???
Old 01 Jul 2004, 10:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

PTGT_Boy,

I have friends with both of the wheel/tire sizes you described. No problems! The wheel/tire combos you are describing should fit AS LONG AS the wheel offset is correct.

If you choose wheels from the Tire Rack or Discount Tire (from the recommended lists for PT Cruisers, specifically GTs or Turbos), they are guaranteed to fit with no problems. If they don't, they will buy them back! Their recommended wheels were fitted on actual vehicles, so there is no reason that they should not fit.

Scott
Old 02 Jul 2004, 12:42 am
Cool Cruiser

The 17x7.5 rim had an offset of 35mm and the 18x8 had an offset of 32mm. I'm still reading up on how offsets affect the wheels from leaving the wheel wells.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 01:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Some people are using wheels with too small an offset and are using spacers to make up the difference. That may be what you're seeing in some cases.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 01:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Most of the ones aftermarket rims I saw on the PT shows were base, limited, touring models. I think they have alot smaller offset compared to the GT's. I think I'm screwed on getting aftermarket rims due to the GT's bigger brakes and not wanting the rims/wheels to leave the wheel well.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 08:22 am
Cool Cruiser

PTGT_Boy,

I just replaced my wheels. The factory offset is +39 mm. I used a set of wheels that had a +38 mm offset. NO problems. Check this thread: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=7825

I could install a big brake kit and STILL have room with the wheels I bought. No spacers and no rubbing.

Scott
Old 02 Jul 2004, 01:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

I notice ElectricBlueGT you took 17x7 rims, my question is: Does it stay in the wheel wells like the stock GT rims? IF you notice Mike-in-Orange's PT uses 17x8 with an offset of 35, but his tires/wheels leaves the wheel wells. I'm looking for rims/tires that stay within the wells.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Opps, forgot to flip to page 2 of the link, nm .... heh
Old 02 Jul 2004, 03:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy

I notice ElectricBlueGT you took 17x7 rims, my question is: Does it stay in the wheel wells like the stock GT rims? IF you notice Mike-in-Orange's PT uses 17x8 with an offset of 35, but his tires/wheels leaves the wheel wells. I'm looking for rims/tires that stay within the wells.
This may help you figure out what you need. I think an 8" wheel is pushing it for the front. An 8" wheel with a 35mm offset should fit just under the wheel well lip, maybe the tires are a little too wide and the side wall is protruding past the wheel lip?

Notice that the width is not measured to the outside of the wheel and you also have to consider the tire size and how much side wall is going to protrude past the wheel lip, total width of the tire/wheel package.

*Offset

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.
Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.
Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly.*

*courtesy of The Tire Rack

www.tirerack.com
Old 02 Jul 2004, 04:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

I did catch up on that tirerack diagram you showed and aware of the widths and offsets. However, because of all of the differnt sizes, wheels, and tire combinations, it's been tough to find pics of GT's that have aftermarket rims than fit inside the wheel lip.

The n/a PT's don't seem to have this problem, but the GT's brakes causes clearance problems and most aftermarket rims I see have the wheels protrude out of the wheel wells.

I was thinking about the 5Zigen RX-6 17x7 rims with a 35mm offset, but think it will have the same appearance as ElectricBlues GT's Enkel's 17x7 with a 38mm offset. I think the star structure on the 5Zigens protrude out a little more to clear the brakes, hence the 35mm offeset, but will still have the appearance of the rims/wheels leaving the wheel lip [V].