PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New thread wheels>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2003, 11:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default New thread wheels>

I have the stock painted wheels on my Gt as well, I like the look, I agree with others here that EVERYONE has the factory chrome wheels, when I up grade I want something unique> which is the reason for this post, Has anyone seen the byode coddington wheels, THEY ARE AWESOME! the one I like is called the smoothie. I like it because it has a deep dish look, retro to the hod rod style. Now here is the problem. The links that are selling this wheel, say it will fit on the Turbo no problem, I called the company direct and they said NO WAY, it won't fit due to the larger brake calipers on the GT and they won't clear for mounting. Just wondered if anyone had the correct answer. When I called these places that sell it, they insist it will fit. Good thing I'm not ready to buy it yet.

Old 16 Apr 2003, 12:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:
I have the stock painted wheels on my Gt as well, I like the look, I agree with others here that EVERYONE has the factory chrome wheels, when I up grade I want something unique> which is the reason for this post, Has anyone seen the byode coddington wheels, THEY ARE AWESOME! the one I like is called the smoothie. I like it because it has a deep dish look, retro to the hod rod style. Now here is the problem. The links that are selling this wheel, say it will fit on the Turbo no problem, I called the company direct and they said NO WAY, it won't fit due to the larger brake calipers on the GT and they won't clear for mounting. Just wondered if anyone had the correct answer. When I called these places that sell it, they insist it will fit. Good thing I'm not ready to buy it yet.

Read and weep!

Sorry, but none of the Boyd wheels will not work on the GT because of clearance problems on the front.

--Barry
www.revelenterprises.com

----- Original Message -----
To: 'sales@revelenterprises.com'
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 7:37 AM
Subject: Boyd Coddington Smoothie 2 Wheels

I would like to know if I can use the 17X8's on my 2003 PT GT without any
problems, or should I stick to the 17X7?

:-(

Bummer

Macster

Don't help me
Help the bear
Old 16 Apr 2003, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes your front calipers stick out about 5mm(3/16) farther on the turbo than other PT's. I've encountered this same problem with a set of Billet Specialties (SLX 45) Wheels that I had for my 2002 PT , if you have a 2003 repair manuel they show a side by side veiw of both sets of front brakes the part that hit on mine was the casting seam on the caliper which was removed also a 5mm spacer was machined for me to snap onto the rear of the wheel on the fronts the rears I've had no problem with, anyone who tells you that any wheel from other PT's will fit DON'T BELEIVE EM !
Quote:
quote:

Old 16 Apr 2003, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turbomangt

As an owner of a Turbo GT with Boyd Coddington Smoothie II wheels (17x8 with 235/45/17 tires) on his car I can state for a fact the spokes will not clear the calipers. However, sports fans with a 12mm washer on the studs from your local Home Depot or Lowe's store you are in business. I'm sure this will start some sort of controversy but it works for me and I am delighted with the results. Eventually I will have 1/16" "spacers" made. Be sure all of the washers are of the same thickness. I purchased several packs to come up with the correct matching set. Also, small diameter lug nuts are needed. The stock lug nuts will not fit.

ON a different subject matter another up grade I have just done is replaced my outside mirrors with 2002 electric heated ones. Just like the horn wiring harness the outside mirror harness is the same as 2002. I now have dual horns and painted body color heated mirrors. Living in the midwest this is a nice feature to have.
However, the 8 hours of sanding smooth the texture finish was not fun.

DennisK

DennisK