PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT Suspension Better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2004, 06:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default GT Suspension Better?

What is different on the GT Suspension versus the plain suspension? I want a nice ride because the car is mainly used for traveling. Will the GT suspension be rougher and is the front sway bar stiffer?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 07:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Good Question. From everything I can find, I think they use the same suspension, but the rims/tire sizes are different. Base models use 15 rims, touring and turbo lite models 16" rim, and GT 17 inch rim. I have had both 16 and 17 inch rims on my turbo lite and I could tell the difference. I am going back to the 16" rims since I have installed lowering springs. Love the look, but I want that smooth ride back.

Also, the ride height of all models is the same, I went to the dealer and measured each model,

Mike
Old 28 Dec 2004, 08:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

From what I remember actually, the GT suspension is sport tuned, in otherwords, a little stiffer than normal and it actually sits an 1" lower than the other models.

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 28 Dec 2004, 09:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

The sports suspension, according to DC, has slightly shorter stiffer springs, and softer shocks and struts. It basicly feels the same as my old 2001 PT with a touring suspension did. But I guess since the rims are larger DC made the sports suspension to conpensate for what would have been a harsher ride.[:I]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Other things are a bit different too. For instance...When I installed my struts the bolts were larger than what was pictured in the n/a instructions. If it came down to it, you could always add a strut bar ($200) and sway bars ($300) and be equal if not better than the GT model....In other words, if the suspension is the only reason youre going GT, Id say skip it. Do a turbo lite.

14.67 @ 94.5 &lt;--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Saki, 340x just acquired a totaled GT so he has the suspension available to install on his N/A.

340x, I think you would experience a slight improvement if you switch over to the GT suspension and wheels. The GT has a fairly soft ride due to the softer shocks. Depending on the mileage on the GT you may find that the shocks are already in need of replacement anyway. The GT springs are somewhat stiffer. I don't know that I have ever seen a comparison of the GT vs N/A front sway bars so they may be the same.

Other than taking some of your time, you certainly won't hurt anything by changing the suspension parts out. I think you will be pleased with the ride.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 12:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the springs from my 01 and 03 GT. They are exactly the same.
Just like the exhaust sans the muffler tip.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 31 Dec 2004, 12:49 am
Regular Cruiser

I do think they are the same, I went to the dealer and measured 2 of each model, base, touring and GT and the ground to fender height was the same on all.

Mike
Old 03 Jan 2005, 10:34 am
Young Cruiser

The 2003 model year had a different ground clearance spec for GT & non-GT versions. It says the GT is approx. .2 inches lower; I would guess that the springs are 1 inch lower, but with the 17 inch wheels, the height is raised up again, offsetting the lowering to some degree (?). Regardless, I think there should be a minimal difference.

See this link:
http://www.new-cars.com/2003/chrysle...ser-specs.html

Old 03 Jan 2005, 02:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I believe that the ground clearance issue is related to the different shape of the front fascia. There is slightly less clearance on the GT but the rolling radius of the 17" vs the 16" vs the 15" wheels is very close to being the same.

Even though springs measure the same height and look the same does not mean that they have the same characteristics. If they have the same part number, they are the same but at least Chrysler's advertising indicates that they did change the spring and shocks characteristics for the GT.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.