PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowering Springs, part II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2005, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lowering Springs, part II

I had the Vogtland springs and Konis on my GT. Handling was much improved over stock, and the ride was still pretty smooth. I chose the Vogtlands because they are variable rate, the initial rate is close to stock and the ending rate is a fairly stiff. They are a little stiffer than Eibachs and others, which I think is good, and the drop is a little less which is also good.

I sometimes go for "spirited" drives in the country, and I found that the relatively soft initial rate of the Vogtlands would allow the suspension to hit the bump stops fairly easily under aggressive driving. Not a good thing for handling. Actually, it's about the worst thing possible from a handling point of view.

I ordered a set of Mopar Stage 1 springs to try out. The drop is a mild 1" all around. I like this because there's some wheel travel left. Also, the Mopar springs are LINEAR rate (200# front, 160# rear). The higher initial rate and constant rate, (compared to Vogtland, Eibach, etc) keeps the suspension up off the stops during most manuvers (which improves handling), and reduces roll and pitch (which improves handling more). Even though the rates are stiffer, the ride is still pretty good.

In my opinion, the Mopar Stage 1 springs and Konis are the way to go. Like the Stage 1 ECU, this is how the GT should have been from the factory. The only thing that could possibly be better than the Stage 1 springs would be the coil overs.
Old 03 Feb 2005, 10:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

can I get your old springs?
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 03 Feb 2005, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I already sold the Vogtlands, and I'm keeping the stock ones for when the car gets sold.
Old 03 Feb 2005, 11:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks anyway
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.