PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Wheels/Suspension/Handling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Largest size replacement tire for GT wheel is...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2005, 04:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Largest size replacement tire for GT wheel is...

the 215/50R-17.

I spend a good part of an hour with the Manager at my local Les Schwab Tires store earlier this week and confirmed first-hand that the 215/50R-17 is “the way to go” if one wants to use stock 17” GT wheels to accommodate the largest size replacement tire. I was considering Sumitomo tires but I didn’t want to special order tires “sight unseen” and I found some other tires that I believe will work fine for me--Zexius Xi 326 (like Falken/Ohtsu ZE-326 tires) with ratings of Treadwear: 360/Traction: A/Temperature: A)--an all-season high performance tire for $110.19/each. I liked their tread design and wide profile—definitely a major upgrade from the stock Goodyears. I got a cash allowance of $100 on my used Goodyears. The new tires ride very well, are quiet, and definitely improve the handling of my GT "S1" Cruiser which has not been lowered and never will be. While I usually buy major-brand tires (at Costco if they have what I want) thought I would try Les Schaub this time since they have numerous stores here in the Pacific Northwest and I get FREE flat repair, tire rotation, tire rebalance, snow tire installation/removal, and road hazard protection for the life of the tires. [8]

Old 26 Feb 2005, 05:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Nice tires. It is nice to finally get a tire you like on your ride. [|)]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 04 Mar 2005, 03:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Uh, is this topic supposed to be the "best" largest size tire or the "largest width" tire.

My automatic PT has 235/45/17 Dayton Daytona HR's. I personally don't like the fact that they are A) so large (width wise) and B) 1% increase overall. I personally don't think that they are that safe. But they dont look too bad from a sidewall point of view. I guess if a tire deseals after agressive cornering, we'll know.

I bought it this way. No flames about safety, etc, please.
Old 04 Mar 2005, 04:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, do you know what load rating those tires have? It should be on the sidewall. Likely numbers would be between 89 and 95. The XL tires that are recommended for the GT are the equivalent of 93 as I recall. The larger the number the more weight each tire will support.

Just curious. I checked Les Schwab's website and found that those tires are V speed rated (better than the H's that came on the car) but no mention of the load rating.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 05 Mar 2005, 04:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MichaelDay

Gary, do you know what load rating those tires have? It should be on the sidewall...
Checked the sidewall and found the following:

ZEXIUS 215/50R17 91V M+S

Max load = 1356 lbs.

Max P.S.I. = 44 lbs.

Made in Japan (OHTSU)
Old 06 Mar 2005, 12:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks Gary. The XL tires carry the same load as the 93 at 1433 pounds or 77 pounds per tire greater than the 91.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 12:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey, Gary, what did that tire size do to your speedo readings?? How much different is the rolling diameter and/or revs per mile???

Mike
Old 01 Apr 2005, 03:22 am
Senior Cruiser

I am still thinking about going with the F1 D-3 Goodyears 225X50-17. This is the smallest tire they make in a 50 series 17" in the F1 D-3 series of tires. They have the width, the load rating, and weigh less than stock tire. I am just skeptical if the chart GoodYear has is correct and that they can be mounted safely on 6" wheels.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 01 Apr 2005, 02:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Radowski

Hey, Gary, what did that tire size do to your speedo readings??...Mike
I really haven't noticed much, if any, difference. From what I have read, increasing one tire size has little or no difference on speedo readings--maybe one MPH?

This tire size calculator [8D] may be of some help: http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.htm...size=185/60-15
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MichaelDay

Thanks Gary. The XL tires carry the same load as the 93 at 1433 pounds or 77 pounds per tire greater than the 91.
Where do you guys buy those Zexius tires? I bought some rims with those tires on them but nowhere in the south can I fine a place selling them. PM me with info on where you can get them. Please!