Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Vendors & Buyers Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New detail tip>

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default New detail tip>

Because so many people have been e mailing me on my web site asking me detail questions, I decided to post another tip. Everyone wants to keep their Cruiser in top condition, but if you drive it everyday, like most of us it is subjected to all kinds of contaminents. Biggest complaint I've heard is "how to get out surface scratches". first lets talk about how they got there. Most of time its from improper washing/drying. When the car is not prepped properly, all you do is work exsising dirt into the finish. The clay bar is the best solution to ensure proper cleaning BEFORE you polish/wax/seal. Most people never heard of clay, and if they have they don't know how to use it. After you wash your car, before you dry, feel it with your hand. A simple test is to put your hand in a plastic biggie and gently move across the finish, if it grabs a little, you have fine particles of dirt that you did not remove while washing. HOW TO USE CLAY. first get yourself a fresh bucket of soapy water. break off a small piece of clay in your hand, (clay works best with lots of lubrication) lather a small section of your car, dip the clay on the water, spray the clay with quick detail spray, gently work the clay in a side to side motion. (don';t press to hard, it works well with gently pressure) after 4-4 strokes, spray again, lather, and do another section. keep dipping clay in bucket, keep spraying with QD, work side to side. YOu will see (and feel) the finish getting cleaner, your hand will start to get the hang of it,(if the surface gums up, it is not libricated enough) once you get it down, its easy. The key is lubrication, gentle side to side motion. also, after a few sections, press the clay in your hand in and out, making a fresh surface. it looks and feels like play dough, so you can made a new surface by working it. One piece will do the whole car. IF YOU DROP THE CLAY THROW IT OUT, USE A NEW PIECE! it will pick up dirt from the ground and become a hazard, working like sandpaper. after you do the whole car, wash car again to remove clay residue, dry with lareg micro fiber or high quality 100%cotton terri towels. proceed to polish/wax/seal> Hope that helps. www.perfectautofinish.com Gary
Old 13 Jun 2003, 12:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey Gary Great tip and nicely explained! If I might add in addtion to throwing out the clay if dropped also throw it when done! Other than that this is spot on! (no pun intended)
Old 13 Jun 2003, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Gary! I always wanted to know about clay. Great description!
I havent waxed my GT yet, just the quick detail spray...is it still okay to use clay first?

Oh and whats your take on the California Water blade??

Click to see my GT!
Old 13 Jun 2003, 06:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You can start with youR clay any time you want (and have enough time to spend on it) It takes me on average of 6-7 hours to do a full detail. If you are going to clay, allow enough time to polish and protect as well. Jody has asked me to start a link on auto care, as soon as I get pointed in the right direction we can start a new thread if you guys wish. I will try to keep things rolling. YES, THROW OUT CLAY WHEN FINISHED. THANKS KG/
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 13 Jun 2003, 08:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Gary!

Click to see my GT!
Old 14 Jun 2003, 12:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Great tip!!!! Thanks.[8D]

Don aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/
Old 26 Jun 2003, 01:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

My pleasure Gary!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 02:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Excellent tip! I just found it today. Hey, turbomangt, have you and Jody worked out anything yet? Have you started the Car Care thread? I'm doing some body mods on my GT. When we're ready for paint, I'm going to have the insides of the wheel wells painted with black ruberized paint. Thank you very much. We need a thread so you can share all this great info with us at one location. For the next year, I'd like to road trip around and enter my car in some shows. I will want it to look it's best. Thanks, Gary.

TNT

\'03 Silver Turbo, 5-speed, tinted front windows, gutted air box, K&N Filter, weather strip removed, second horn... Cool mods coming soon.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 09:16 am
Dedicated Cruiser

TNT, you have two (actually three options) for car care tips. One is Jody posted on the home page on the pt site, Gary's detiling tips> the other is my web site> www.perfectautofinish.com> the other is to e mail me direct through my web site for questions and answers you can't see or find. The wheel wells will look awesome after you paint them. When you are done with them, and they are dry, spray a water based dressing in them after you wash your car. This will keep them looking their best. I just added a professional dressing to my list of products on my wb site, "high qaulity car care supplies need not be expensive" . I will help you get your Cruiser to "show car" status, I'm going to the Chysler plant this weekend for a huge show with my Turbo, which I entered. The competition will be tough. But I'm ready. (I think) Happy Cruizin> Gary 2003 Turbo 5 speed [?]
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 04 Aug 2003, 01:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Hello Gary,

Is it ok to wax my new electric blue PT GT? The date of manufacture is May or June 2003. I heard that you should wait 6 months or longer before waxing the car to let the paint cure....what are your feelings on this?
I'm asking as I want to use the clay bar to get rid of some bugs and other grime off of the front of my PT but don't plan on waxing it straight away...is this ok?

Cheers,

LIP