PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Vendors & Buyers Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need a 1 of a Kind custom item made. Any suggestions as to who to contact?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default Need a 1 of a Kind custom item made. Any suggestions as to who to contact?

I drive a 05 Touring. I am in a wheelchair, so any time i open the liftgate, if it goes all the way up, there is NO WAY I can reach it to close it. I have a built in cup that you slide your fingers into, but I cant reach it. On the inside of the hatch, there is a place just above the latch that is a screw hole *factory it has a cap in its place. I was wanting to see if some1 could make some sort of heavy duty *strong enough to handle weight of liftgate* strap, that drills into the whole that is in the hatch panel. This way, as long as it was long enough, i could just reach up and pull on the strap to lower hatch. Currently there is NOT anything like this that is made for the PT. Can anyone suggest a company that has the ability to make a 1 of a kind item like this? Considering where I live, I doubt I will be able to travel TO shop to have it done, but if THEY can make the strap *preferably a thick leather loop strap, with a metal piece as closure, and a way of drilling it into the pre existing screw hole in the hatch *both the plastic panel and the sheetmetal

imagesCA42UOHK.jpg

This is a picture of the interior hatch panel I was speaking of. If you notice the small hole in the very bottom center of the panel. This is the mounting location I was refering to. The sheetmetal under this also has a corresponding hole. As long as strap was long enough that when hatch was fully extended, I could still reach it, and as long as it was securely attached, it would work perfectly
Old 13 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Need a 1 of a Kind custom item made. Any suggestions as to who to contact?

How about I give it a try? I am close enough to you that if I can make you something that will work I can deliver it.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 12:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default Re: Need a 1 of a Kind custom item made. Any suggestions as to who to contact?

I private msg'd u
Old 14 Aug 2011, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Friend of mine used a garage door pull, like you see on the release for an electric garage door opener. Was kind of cheesy but worked great. I also saw one at a show that had a flip up handle. When he opened the trunk he flipped it down, the back up before closing. Was maybe 18" long. I have to go look for the pictures....
Old 18 Jan 2012, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Maybe it does'nt have to be that difficult...on either side side of the hatch attach a limit cord (made of nylon) use a dog leash snap click so that you can quickly disconnect to allow it to open fully if someone is putting larger cargo in. Just set the lenght of the cord so it only opens as far as you can reach. I Hope this helps. It would be attached near the connection points of the lift cylinders(I haven't looked) but I think that may be easy and ecconomical way of solving your problem.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 07:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

They make a dog leash for big dogs in different lengths [below] if you could just bolt an eye hook/loop in. I have also used nylon strapping, it sews fairly easy.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 07:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

With the snap idea when you went to close it, you wouldn't have to worry about it getting caught in the hatch. The eye bolt idea is a pretty good one. Put a pop open end on it (toggle) to go into the hole that is already there. I don't remember how big it is and I don't remember how much room you have behind it for it to flange out???? That idea though sounds pretty easy and simple to do. Good luck.