PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Marketplace > Vendors & Buyers Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adam's Intake & Upper Charge Pipe - Dyno'd!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Adam's Intake & Upper Charge Pipe - Dyno'd!

OK, just got back from a couple hours of dyno time with Adam (AKA 03baggedturbo) and the numbers were pretty terrific actually!

Here's the lowdown; we used my car, an '04 Limited Edition Platinum Series with the 180HP Turbo Lite motor. This car has an auto tranny, but it is NOT the autostick sequential semi-automatic, rather just the plain old auto. This meant we could not hold the car in 3rd because it kept wanting to downshift when we got on the power, so all dyno runs were done in 2nd gear. A higher load in 3rd may well have meant higher HP numbers, but we got what we got!

The runs were done at approximately 4:00PM, humidity was 27.9%, air temp 82.3F and absolute pressure was 29.66. The baseline runs were done using the following configuration:

-180HP Turbo Lite engine with Stage 1 installed
-Stock air filter, although the white silencer had been removed (we replaced my K&N drop in with the a stock filter, and not a terribly clean or new one for that matter!) All other intake piping, airbox, etc were bone stock.
-BTG cat/back dual exhaust

This resulted in a max power output at the front wheels of 175.1HP and torque of 196.7ft-lbs. We did three runs all HP figures were within 2HP, torque was similarly tight

Next we installed Adam's cold air intake/uppercharge pipe configuration. Everything else remained the same.

This change resulted in a max power output of 205.3HP and torque of 210.0ft-lbs. Again, we did three runs, and all were within a couple of HP or ft-lbs.

Here's a scan of the dyno run printout, showing before/after curves.

A couple of side notes here; It took Adam about 40 minutes to install everything, using limited tools and a very hot motor. Everything fit beautifully with the battery in its stock location. You can really hear the turbo spooling with this setup, it's pretty dang cool! I found out after the fact that all dyno runs (yes, baseline and after) were done with the freakin' air conditioner ON! I wasn't behind the wheel during the runs, of course, but I can't believe the tech didn't turn it off.

In case you missed his other posts, you can find out more about this setup at http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=4851
Old 19 Mar 2004, 02:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

Thank you mike for posting this up. As you can see from the dyno the gain was 30hp..
Old 19 Mar 2004, 02:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Sweet...I'll have a red charge pipe please

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 19 Mar 2004, 04:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Did you take any pics of your UPP installed? I'm confused because the stock UPP has a couple more bends where it connects at the top. Also, where does the wire connector plug into and also the little vaccuum line? I don't see a place to plug them in.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 19 Mar 2004, 10:30 am
Senior Cruiser

The car only made 175 with Stage 1 ?

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 19 Mar 2004, 11:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:TripleJackInGA Posted - 03/19/2004 : 08:30:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to remember that this was done in second gear with an auto trans so the numbers were probably a bit low, plus we're talking wheel HP here, not flywheel. If you figure Stage 1 gives you 235HP at the flywheel, and you factor in 20% (or more) drivetrain loss, then the number isn't that far off. Still, the runs we made were consistant, both for baseline and after the mod. Sure, it's my car and I would have liked to have seen higher numbers, but the whole point of this exercise was to quantify what, if any, gains could be realized from this mod. I'd say 30HP at the wheels ain't too shabby.

I've added additional pix of the testing HERE

Old 19 Mar 2004, 12:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange

Quote:
quote:TripleJackInGA Posted - 03/19/2004 : 08:30:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to remember that this was done in second gear with an auto trans so the numbers were probably a bit low, plus we're talking wheel HP here, not flywheel. If you figure Stage 1 gives you 235HP at the flywheel, and you factor in 20% (or more) drivetrain loss, then the number isn't that far off. Still, the runs we made were consistant, both for baseline and after the mod. Sure, it's my car and I would have liked to have seen higher numbers, but the whole point of this exercise was to quantify what, if any, gains could be realized from this mod. I'd say 30HP at the wheels ain't too shabby.

I've added additional pix of the testing HERE

I wasn't questioning the gains posted,or the product (I mean as long as the guy did it the same way for both pulls you still got 30+HP from it), I was simply wondering what the tech's problem was. I might be wrong, but I thought you always do pulls in top gear? In mine, he got it up to speed all the way into 4th gear,started recording data *then* let it hang out at WOT. I have an 03 Turbo with silencer's removed and a K&N, and after a resetting the PCM I got Corrected numbers of 184.63HP/237.86TQ.
The gains from Adam's part are obvious, but I think the guy running the Dyno may have not known exactly what he was doing.I mean, you said yourself the guy didn't notice the AC was on.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Jack, no problem, I know you weren't questioning the gains or kit. The tech just couldn't keep the car from downshifting if it was in a higher gear, so were sort of stuck doing this in second. He felt that, if he could have held the car in a higher gear, we would have seen higher numbers. Again, my auto is not the autostick, so we didn't the kind of control an autostick offers.

I may be wrong, but doesn't this car produce more boost in higher gears? If so, that would of course produce higher numbers. If I'm wrong I'm wrong![] Can anyone confirm this? (yes, feel free to confirm that I'm wrong!)
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

I *think* you're right from what I remember, but I'm not sure.I don't understand why he couldn't keep it from downshifting when it was in 4th.Regardless of the AS on mine, once you get it past about 80 or so, it shouldn't downshift into 3rd when you lay on the throttle.
Maybe I'm just wrong, I dunno.

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 19 Mar 2004, 01:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mike, nice gains thanks for the pics.

Question for Adam, now that I see the pipe installed. Can I order the UCP with the flange for the BOV moved to a different location? The spot it's in now wouldn't allow too much room for some BOV's if you have the stock airbox in.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....