Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2017, 09:31 pm
Banned

Default Re: Goodbye Rockauto :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Attachment 20243

Looks like we are beating a dead horse trying to convince RockAuto their customer service and shipping issues need to be improved. I haven't bought from Rockauto for a few months.
Their representative made a pretty bold statement in reply to my post, and I believe I have provided evidence to prove them wrong, we'll see if they respond.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2tim View Post
I HAD been ordering parts from Rockauto for at least a decade. Sadly this is ending today, due to Rockauto's EXCESSIVE shipping fees.

I'm performing a timing belt and water pump replacement on my wife's 01 PT Cruiser. It's a big ticket purchase for me, a retiree on a modest budget nowadays.

The parts totaled $155. Then, Rockauto added $50 in shipping fees. Yep, Rockauto raised the price a whopping 30% *:-O surprise

Un-fortunately for you Auto Parts Wholesale has the same price for parts with no shipping fees what-so-ever. So, since I'm buying by price I will not be buying from Rockauto.

As a very experienced parts purchaser, and a professional estimator by trade, I see Rockauto has slipped into the typical successful American business spiral into greed and excessive profit taking. Take this note to Rockauto management. They need a wake up call.

I'll be posting the DIY on the Timing Belt as soon as the parts arrive and it will include the reassembly.

Mr2Tim
Boca Raton, Florida

your going to miss out on there awesome frig magnets.!
its always good to shop for competitive prices and remember Just because it says "Bosch" on the box..... it may not be the quality parts you were looking for
lately I have had better luck with Denso
Bosch has let me down more times Then it should ...
My two cents....

If you answered “yes” then parts car is a really good idea.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I need to print a retraction. I WAS WRONG!

To show that I had received free shipping from RockAuto in the past, I downloaded a list of all my invoices. The list from RockAuto provided hyperlinks that took me to each of those invoices once I was logged in on their website. Contrary to my memory, I did pay at least some shipping on all orders. However, most of the time, the shipping was very inexpensive and was less than what I would have paid in sales tax for the same order at a local brick and mortar store. I may have actually thought I was getting free shipping and paying some level of sales tax. But it was just shipping. Here's an example:

So it looks like I never did get free shipping as I thought I did. I think it's important to admit when you are wrong. And on this specific point, mea culpa. However, I believe that a lot of the frustration that I and others have been having with RockAuto lately is that shipping costs appear to now often be much more substantial. So much so, that it's gone from not even realizing your are paying shipping to situations now where sometimes it's cheaper to buy at the local store due to the high shipping.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Jan 2017 at 12:14 am.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 11:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Of all the forums I participate on having to do with vehicles (dozens) the PT Cruiser members on this forum complain more than any other platform including other PT Cruiser media's regarding parts!!!!

PERIOD .

Some of us really understand and know why!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jan 2017, 11:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Of all the forums I participate on having to do with vehicles (dozens) the PT Cruiser members on this forum complain more than any other platform including other PT Cruiser media's regarding parts!!!!

PERIOD .

I always knew you spent all day on the internet. Does your wife know how much time you waste online?

You need to get back to that lathe and finish up what ever you were trying to make. When working just concentrate and think "Mopar or No Car".

As far as knowing and understanding why? It's because we live in the age of the buyer. Only recently have buyers been able to hold sellers accountable in a meaningful way. In mass, we now have almost all resources and knowledge many of the sellers have. And we can make our voices heard when needed. I don't dislike RockAuto. But there are things that concern customers. If sellers are smart, they will pay attention and use these kinds of exchanges in aggregate to improve. And if they don't, there's always some other sellers ready to. I've admired RockAuto in the past. But as with all companies, their strategies appear to be changing over time. Let's hope they change in good ways and are able to meet customer expectations going forward.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Jan 2017 at 12:25 am.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 06:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Okay, having worked in the package delivery service for 13 years, a LONG time ago, I do have some understanding of how shipping things works. Different factors come into play. Basically, it depends on two things. The size of the package and how much it weighs. You can order something that's small and heavy and because it takes up less space in a plane, truck or whatever transport is being used, that it can cost less to ship than a large, lighter item. It's based on how much room it takes up. Let's say you order a large lamp shade and the box is 36"x36"x24" and weighs two pounds. You order a pair of shoes and the box is 14"x6"x4" and weighs five pounds. Dimensional space taken up by the shoes is less than the lamp shade and shipping is cheaper. At least that's the way it used to work, instead of just how much something weighed. I dealt mostly with UPS and overnight couriers such as FedX and DHL. Things may have changed in the past 25 years. IDK. I'm just trying to let you guys know that Rockauto has ZERO control over the shipping costs based on how their customers want their packages delivered. Something sent overnight is obviously going to cost more than the same thing send by snail mail. I'm not defending anyone, per se, I'm just trying to explain how this used to work and might still. When I need items and can wait a few days to install them, I will continue to use rockauto because of their lower prices. If I need it in a hurry, then O'Reilly is my go to store.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Part of being in a larger community (car enthusiasts )is finding members around other forums.

Mr2Tim what is you REAL problem DUDE! You join this forum and with your first or second of only 2 posts you start a grievance thread and dont come and talk about it! Than you go to another forum (Alpar)and start the same shET!
Quote: This topic is being flogged on another forum. I won't mention which one, but Mr2Tim knows! LOL
https://www.allpar.com/forums/thread...ckauto.166735/

Honestly having been a moderator and also having my own forum in the past I think I would have banned you and deleted the thread or the least moderated your thread responses for approval before posting for at least the first 10? But as I am neither now and just a member I wanted to point this out about you! IMO You have taken advantage of this forums kind guidelines regarding new members.

I wonder what your agenda really is? Well at least on this forum a few members are aware of you now!

mr2tim
Total Posts

Yesterday, 08:51 am
Replies: 26
Goodbye Rockauto
Views: 313
I HAD been ordering parts from Rockauto for at least a decade.

Forum: Interior Accessories Forum
27 Sep 2012, 06:44 pm
Replies: 13
power door lock actuator
Views: 12,357
Posted By mr2tim
Re: power door lock actuator

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jan 2017 at 09:31 am.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Part of being in a larger community (car enthusiasts )is finding members around other forums.

Mr2Tim what is you REAL problem DUDE! You join this forum ......r
Sorry, Nitro. But you are not the person to be spouting about internet forum decorum. This isn't a case where the forum "bad boy" on decorum gets to be the expert.

Mr2Tim has valid points and valid concerns as do others. His agenda is likely to voice about his experience. This is a car forum and car enthusiasts should be able to talk about their concerns with vendors where they buy car parts. Just because a few members report bad or frustrating experiences, it doesn't mean the company is bad. It just means that those members had less than great experiences. All companies change over time and all companies have room for improvement.

I suggest you quit taking it so personally when others have grievances or even just observations (such as me) on an automotive parts company or manufacture's performance. Let folks speak their piece and have a meeting of the minds. And if we are reasonable and honest, only good can come from it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Jan 2017 at 10:14 am.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

look crusader DAN spreading the compliant across several forums is just plain wrong! Generally there is more to the story than what one person posts. WE DO NOT KNOW THE ACTUAL AND COMPLETE STORY,only one side? Mr2Tim is a new member here with only 2 postings. You just don't go into a forum as a new member and start threads like that. Anyone who thinks other wise is not well experienced in forums. When some members joined years ago I believe there was a period that you needed to have responses approved by the moderator before they were posted. This thread would NOT have been allowed from a new member years ago on many forums. Alpar simply lets most member self govern themselves within reason.
I think that we asked CREWZIN to lift the new member restrictions and since now we get bombarded by SPAM and BS like this thread from a new member!

Maybe we should ask that new member guidelines with limited temporary posting allowances be placed into the forum?

Lets let CREWZIN respond.

This is something I have observed over the years here.

PERIOD .

I want to also comment about the descriptive word decorum from a fellow Christian (?) posting scripture.
John 8:7
“Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone .”
Or Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jan 2017 at 11:05 am.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
look crusader DAN spreading the compliant across several forums is just plain wrong! Generally there is more to the story than what one person posts. WE DO NOT KNOW THE ACTUAL AND COMPLETE STORY,only one side? Mr2Tim is a new member here with only 2 postings. You just don't go into a forum as a new member and start threads like that. Anyone who thinks other wise is not well experienced in forums. When some members joined years ago I believe there was a period that you needed to have responses approved by the moderator before they were posted. This thread would NOT have been allowed from a new member years ago on many forums. Alpar simply lets most member self govern themselves within reason.
I think that we asked CREWZIN to lift the new member restrictions and since now we get bombarded by SPAM and BS like this thread from a new member!

Maybe we should ask that new member guidelines with limited temporary posting allowances be placed into the forum?

Lets let CREWZIN respond.
First, I think you win the "well experienced in forums" contest. I strongly suspect you've been kicked off more forums than I've ever visits.

Mr2Tim might be a poser. And you might be one too for all I know. However, if Mr2Tim has some nefarious intention, he is still not saying anything that others have not already voiced about Rock Auto on this forum and some of the others I visit. Of course, no one talks about Rock Auto on music forums. There, we usually just complain that no one likes jazz anymore.

Also, if the real intention was to spread something bad about Rock Auto over the internet, I think the perpetrator would pick something worse and a little more sexy than just that their shipping is a little too high sometimes or that their shipping system can sometimes be frustrating. You can say that about most companies that ship anything directly to their customers. It's only notable about Rock Auto because they are outstanding in so many other ways.

The more likely scenario is that Mr2Tim wanted to buy something at Rock Auto and found the shipping too high. So he posted his frustrations on a few forums. Again, talking about cars, car related stuff and car part is what folks do on car forums. Not everybody plays saxophones or plays with toys on car forums like you and I sometimes do.

Tags
parts cost, price gouging, timing belt replacement