Goodbye Rockauto :(

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2019, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Goodbye Rockauto :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808PTcruiser View Post
Rock auto is ok... I had wrong engine mount and water pump set to be before, shipping is way expensive, but sometimes you got no choice. They have decent selection and low prices. But more than few times I went with amazon or eBay because of shipping cost.
Yep. It's often cheaper and faster to look up the part on Rock Auto but then buy it on Amazon with prime shipping.

However, I will say that Rock Auto has improved the shipping situation quit a bit since back in 2017 when this thread was started. I recent bought about $150 worth of stuff from them and the shipping was reasonable and pretty fast.
808PTcruiser likes this.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 06:01 pm
Young Cruiser

I judge a company when things go wrong. Some Chinese manufacturer put the wrong parts in the right boxes. Took three tries to finally get the right part, after ordering a cheaper version, but RA cooperated. Glade I waited to remove the wheel bearings.
Wish it was easier to determine the warehouse locations. Time is as important than costs.
Old 02 Mar 2019, 11:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

In the last few days I made an order to "The Rock" and ask for three day shipping, but the package literally was at my doorstep the next day! Of course it helps that my nearest distribution center for them is only around thirty miles away.

Jerry
Old 24 Mar 2019, 10:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Rock Auto has always been my favorite place to buy parts from, but recently has become even more so.

Since I am a Canadian, I have had a mailbox in NY, just 45 minutes away, to have my US purchased stuff shipped since shipping to Canada is usually painfully expensive. The shipping to NY has been reasonable and stuff is usually delivered there in about a week. The stuff used to arrive to NY tax free, however they have recently been collecting NY sales tax because of some court case. So, when I drove down to pick it up my stuff and cross back into Canada, I now would pay tax again. Once to NY and once to Canada.

However lately, I have had Rock Auto deliver directly to me here in Canada. The shipping is only $2 to $3 more than shipping to my NY address and I now only pay the one Canadian tax and avoid paying sales tax in the US. It also is shipped by FedEx international economy (2-3 day shipping) and there are no further taxes or fees or brokerage charges or anything when it arrives to my door. It actually gets here faster than it would if I shipped it to NY.

If all remains status quo and nothing changes, Rock auto is hands down the cheapest place to buy parts from for me as a Canadian living in Ontario.

I love Rock Auto!
rckstein likes this.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Rock Auto has always been my favorite place to buy parts from, but recently has become even more so.

Since I am a Canadian, I have had a mailbox in NY, just 45 minutes away, to have my US purchased stuff shipped since shipping to Canada is usually painfully expensive. The shipping to NY has been reasonable and stuff is usually delivered there in about a week. The stuff used to arrive to NY tax free, however they have recently been collecting NY sales tax because of some court case. So, when I drove down to pick it up my stuff and cross back into Canada, I now would pay tax again. Once to NY and once to Canada.

However lately, I have had Rock Auto deliver directly to me here in Canada. The shipping is only $2 to $3 more than shipping to my NY address and I now only pay the one Canadian tax and avoid paying sales tax in the US. It also is shipped by FedEx international economy (2-3 day shipping) and there are no further taxes or fees or brokerage charges or anything when it arrives to my door. It actually gets here faster than it would if I shipped it to NY.

If all remains status quo and nothing changes, Rock auto is hands down the cheapest place to buy parts from for me as a Canadian living in Ontario.

I love Rock Auto!
And you save even more because you don't have to drive 45 mins to NY, and then 45 mins back home

And even though you no longer have to make the drive, you are still welcome to visit the US, anytime
myckee likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
164k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Tags
parts cost, price gouging, timing belt replacement