PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
blanes hood struts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2004, 04:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to joepad
Default blanes hood struts

Just wanted to alert anyone who may be considering buying hood struts from Blane, that there is a potential problem. I purchased a painted pair less than 1 year ago and installed them. They work fine, but just recently noticed that they rub against the edge of the hood cowl and the paint has worn off both of the struts where they touch the cowl.I contacted Blane to get a replacement pair and was informed by him that because tolerances for the hood vary from the factory, this may occur. He sugessted trimming or filing back the cowl, where it touched the strut. I informed him that I already did that and the struts no longer touched. I also asked him why he did not mention that this might happen, on his web site. He did not address this problem. He arrogantly suggested I buy touch up paint to hide the missing paint on each strut. I asked him again to replace the struts, which he could repaint and sell again, but he refused. I believe this is unfair to me, and wanted to let anyone considering buying a pair of struts to be aware that he won't stand behind his product. He insists that because they work fine,there is nothing wrong. PT owners know that appearance is as important as function. Why should I have to correct the problem by using touch up paint. It is his responsibility to replace them and also note on his web site that this is a problem that very likely will happen.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Joe,

Since this is only your second post, you haven't been around long enough to have seen the hundreds of posts that can't say enough on a positive note about Blane's struts. Probably about the best modification most of us have made. If this was eBay, including you, Blane would still have a 99.9% positive feedback. I'm sorry about your rub, but since it's on both sides, it seems the tolerances are way off on your cruiser which might have more to do with your PT than the struts since your the first one to have a problem that I've seen on a dozen PT forums.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Joe,

Since this is only your second post, you haven't been around long enough to have seen the hundreds of posts that can't say enough on a positive note about Blane's struts. Probably about the best modification most of us have made. If this was eBay, including you, Blane would still have a 99.9% positive feedback. I'm sorry about your rub, but since it's on both sides, it seems the tolerances are way off on your cruiser which might have more to do with your PT than the struts since your the first one to have a problem that I've seen on a dozen PT forums.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

In response to still cruizin, Blane should still post on his web site that the problem with painted struts may occur, so that a person can decide whether they want to install the struts.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 10:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

What kind of vehicle do you have? I was considering of getting his hood struts, but thought they were a bit too expensive. I opted for the Revel Hood Struts. I may purchase Blane's if I'm not satisfied with the Revel.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Sep 2004, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

What kind of vehicle do you have? I was considering of getting his hood struts, but thought they were a bit too expensive. I opted for the Revel Hood Struts. I may purchase Blane's if I'm not satisfied with the Revel.
Peculiar. Wyckoff has Revel struts but the Revel site doesn't have them...[:I]
Old 28 Sep 2004, 01:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

joepad,

I am one of the hundreds of Blane's customers that have been extremely satisfied. I would take a good look at your hood alignment because you are the first person I have heard that had a rubbing problem. I have had my hood struts on for about 18 months and have put over 20,000 miles on my PT since they were installed. They look brand new, no scuffs, no scratches, no paint blemishes.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a rubbing problem since I have not seen that mentioned on any of the PT Forums I frequent.

Sorry to hear you had a problem.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Old 28 Sep 2004, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:

I have a 2003 Limited Edition Cruiser. The hood looks good and lines up fine. Installation was performed according to Blane's instructions. However, there was no mention in the instructions concerning any alignment issues. They can not be installed except by using the existing holes in the hood and body, so they can't be adjusted.
Joe

Peculiar. Wyckoff has Revel struts but the Revel site doesn't have them...[:I]
Old 28 Sep 2004, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

way to quote someone without saying anything
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)