PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0123 and P0700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy P0123 and P0700

First off, thanks for having this bad ass forum. I cant wait to utilize it to fully "bedazzle" my "08 Cruiser.
Secondly, I am having some issues. I just purchased this vehicle in October and LOVE IT. Sadly, yesterday the check engine light came on and I had a slew of issues occur.
I went to AZ this morning and got the codes P0123 and P0700 pulled. (This was b4 seeing the sticky, thanks for that handy info btw)
I am trying to read through all of this and find what to do. I did clean the battery connections cause I was told that the battery was showing problems with the ODB II meter. So, now I have checked the connection on the throttle sensor and it was a bit lose but IDK if that was the issue. The other is apparently a Transaxle control system fault.
Can anyone tell me more about these readings and or point me to a manual so I can check them out?
Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0123 and P0700

Welcome to the forum.

You already know what the codes mean so start here. On the P0123 start checking the wiring harness from the sensor as far back as you an get. Make sure all the wires are intact and not rubbing against anything that could wear the covering off.

The P0700 is a generic code that means the computer received a code for something wrong with the transaxle (as you know) but the code isn't specific enough to say exactly what's wrong. Usually you need to have a scanner to get to the exact problem.

Speaking of problems, are you having any? Hesitation, skipping, hard shifts, stumbling, anything that might say there IS a problem.

First, I'd take off the negative battery cable and give it a good clean. Keep it off for about 5 minutes, step on the brake pedal to get rid of any residual charge and hook it all back together. That will reset the computer and clear the codes from memory. Then take a ride and see if any of the codes you had come back.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Boy am I having problems. After the light came on it started surging from about 30K to 60K-80K rpms on the highway. It did that twice and then when I tried to start it after class it didn't want to but it did. It was sluggish. Stopped to get gas and it was dead. Got a jump but it didn't want to idle properly, it wanted to die. It did the rpm rev about 6 more times on the way home. I parked it and turned it off. Tried to start it to see and it made a loud squealing sound like a belt slipping but did not fully start. This morning however it started three times in a row with little idle issues. I had been sputtering earlier in the month and I was looking into it but as of yesterday it was full blown. When i tired to drive it it died at the light and i was able to get it to start after a couple tires. It is idling all wrong and stuttering as well. Seems to be when I need to stop that it wants to die. I will check the wires like you suggested. I did clean the connections but will do the brake trick. I did do the code trick anyway after AZ checked and it read done so idk if they cleared it or what but there are no codes now. Thanks again.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did the battery cable suggestion you gave me and checked the wires as well. The car now shows a code again but it is only the P0123 one then it says done. Also, the wires go only so far and then are feed into a plastic hose with others so i cant see them all. I want to make sure I am checking the right thing so could you tell me where it is or do you have a picture? Thanks again!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If that's the only code your showing now, it's easy enough to buy and replace the TPS. Also, from what your saying, sounds like your battery itself could be giving you problems. AZ should be able to check that out for free to see if you don't have a bad cell or the charging system is up to snuff.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool, thanks!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You are the man CREWZIN!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2012, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You are the man CREWZIN!

She didn't get it fixed yet Busted.

Tags
p0123, p0700, throttle sensor, transaxle