PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PLEASE NEED HELP DESPERATELY! BATTERY CHARGING ISSUES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2013, 09:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PLEASE NEED HELP DESPERATELY! BATTERY CHARGING ISSUES

Hello all. I recently replaced my battery on my 07 pt cruiser. I am embarrassed to say that I connected the positive and negative terminals incorrectly. I blew some fuses in the process but more importantly, my battery light now stays on. My battery will only last for a few hours before it dies.

I tested and replaced accordingly, all of the 10V, 15V, 20V, and 25V fuses. They all work properly now.

I took the battery back to where I purchased it and had them test it. The battery tested good and they told me it was my alternator. So i took my car to the dealership where it is under warranty for the alternator replacement.

2 days later, after replacing the alternator, the dealership tells me that it isnt my alternator and that it is most likey the PCM. The mechanic tells me that in order to do The PCM replacement that they first had to replace my battery harness, which would cost over $300 in parts and labor!!

I am almost 100% positive that it isn't the harness. Yes, there is some corrosion, but I never had this problem prior to installing the new battery. I never had any battery light come on prior to the new battery installation either. I believe that there was some fuse blown that somehow powers the alternator or its a fuse that is draining my battery power.

I am tired of "mechanics" giving me the most likely, technically sound response for what they think the problem is. First it was a "bad battery", then it was a "bad alternator", now its probably the "battery harness", and if that doesn't work then it must be "the PCM". Could it simply just be some a simple fuse issue?

I already know that when they replace the battery harness that I will still have these issues! They want to charge me over $300 to replace something that cost under $50.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my car is running strictly off of the battery? These issues were never occurring prior to the battery installation. Only after the positive and negative terminals were connected did these issues occur.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for any response on this frustrating matter.
Old 08 Oct 2013, 09:46 am
Banned

Default Re: PLEASE NEED HELP DESPERATELY! BATTERY CHARGING ISSUES

Yep, sounds about right

A battery harness is easy to change. Check out YouTube videos

If that doesn't fix it I would guess you f-ed your PCM
Old 08 Oct 2013, 10:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

if you have a multimeter, check this wire for continuity: Battery Light On
Old 08 Oct 2013, 10:59 am
Senior Cruiser

You can damage the PCM by connecting the battery terminals backwards. I'm not saying you did damage it but it can happen. The dealer is attempting to do the simpler, cheaper possibilities first but it's turning out to be like cutting the puppy dog's tail off an inch at a time so it doesn't hurt so much. The dealer could have checked it all out in one session and then given you the bad news. But bad news is still bad news.

Dealer repairs cost a lot. That's just a fact of life.

Their parts also cost a lot. You can find them cheaper from internet sellers.

With average skills, these particular pieces can be replaced fairly easy for 0 labor cost. But based on the battery terminal episode, you may be one of those on the negative side of any skill sets.

We learn by doing. But we also learn by making mistakes. I don't mean to heap ashes on your head, but mistakes can be costly and even dangerous. I would hate to hear about some new guy getting crushed because his car wasn't safely up on proper jack stands, etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into this and you will get it all wrapped up and back to Cruisin' soon.
Old 08 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I definitely wouldn't install any new parts at this point. I do though know of a very good mechanic who would be able to help me with any new installations. I refuse to pay over $300 for installation and parts for the battery harness. Thats just thievery at its finest.

Any chance that it could be the fusible link (green wire between alternator starter motor)? Could that have blown when I incorrectly installed the new battery?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08 Oct 2013, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hmmm... I bought my battery at Advance Auto here in Mooresville, after my last one had a dead cell and wouldn't hold a charge. Recently I started having all kinds of electrical problems and took the car to Advance Auto up in Glen Allen, VA, where I was working. Kid that tested it (and that should have given it away) said the alternator was not charging the battery, and yet no error codes, so how can that be?

Didn't realize my OBD reader will monitor the output of the alternator - so hooked it up and drove around for three days monitoring the voltage systems, and recording everything on the engine that the OBD reader gets. Pretty interesting, other than the battery/alternator issue.

Now before I had changed the voltage output from the alternator to 14.5VDC, it had been set at 13.8VDC factory. The improved voltage gives you better headlight lighting, keeps all your lights bright, keeps everything going great.

So, after recording the 118 readings for 3 days I saw that the alternator voltage NEVER went below 14VDC! So that was BS from that "kid" that did the battery test. So ran up to Lakeside, VA, near a friend's house and stopped at an Advance Auto there. The gentleman who tested my battery was older than me, meaning ancient, but he was a mechanically smart guy. In less than a minute he stated the battery had a bad cell, that it was under warranty (I paid $125 for it new) and that the cost to replace would only be $57 (it was two years old). He replaced it for me, and since then I've not had anymore of those type of problems.

All of that being said - do you really trust the person that tested your battery? If it's not tested on a load then it won't test perfectly, and like the guys at Advance Auto said, "got to test it twice just to make sure"...
Old 08 Oct 2013, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Thanks for the input. I definitely wouldn't install any new parts at this point. I do though know of a very good mechanic who would be able to help me with any new installations. I refuse to pay over $300 for installation and parts for the battery harness. Thats just thievery at its finest.

Any chance that it could be the fusible link (green wire between alternator starter motor)? Could that have blown when I incorrectly installed the new battery?

Thanks for any input.
Test it for continuity. You may be right.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
alternator, battery light, blown fuse, pcm