PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt

Good Morning all, I'm new to hear,
My timing belt just went out over the weekend, I'm trying to figure out what type of 2.4L is in my 07 PT Cruiser, if it is an NON interface engine or an interface. I wasn't going that fast just left a red light, heard a pop, them the car died. any feed back would helpful thanks.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt

The U.S 2.4L in the Cruiser is a Non-interface engine.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Lion PT,
Would there be any damage done to the top end of the engine?
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If I remember right, someone said that only 1 user in the history of this site ever broke a valve...so I'd say that your probably safe.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Mar 2015, 03:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Nikkiptaz:
Also new to the forum which has been a wealth of knowledge for us. Last winter, our 2002 Touring Edition did exactly the same thing at 113,000 miles. We feared valve/engine damage. Called several repair shops and many were not optimistic. Said we should junk it. As many PTs as are running around, we refused to believe that! Finally found a shop with PT experience! Replaced H2o pump, timing belt and updated tensioner for $1300.00. Almost a year with no issues regarding the timing belt. Would bet that your 07 is ok too! The key is finding a tech w/ PT knowledge! Let us know how it turns out.

We bid you good luck

Thanks for reading this long post!

BigAng
2002 Touring Edition
A/T, no mods.
120,000 miles and counting!
Old 24 Mar 2015, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The key is to find "real" educated and trained Auto Repair mechanic or better yet technician. There is nothing special or strange about a PT Cruiser when it comes to servicing anything on them. NONE! Any mechanic that claims otherwise "RUN FROM"! They should not be working on vehicles and claiming to be a mechanic for a living!

Never assume anything when a mechanical part fails on an engine. Until you have taken it apart and inspected it no one can make any claims of it condition.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Mar 2015, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most or at least a lot of the shops dont seem to want to work on the timing belt --now like Nitro says ,
a REAL Teck really shouldnt care ,but it is a pain no matter who you are, or how good you are ,there
is verry little room in the engin bay
I would say it is a poor design, but then im really just a red neck from missouri
But I will say it could have been designed Better.

Find a shop that has a good repution ,and has worked on PTs ,getting the timing right seems to really be a pain for some , and going back to redo the timing, is just as much a pain as doing it the first time,and a lot of shops do not want to do that--the reason they say OH NO IT IS IN TIME

We have a lot of folks who come here and say --after the timing belt it runs good but---- idels rough ----or it is sluggish and we tell them its the timing ---they say OH NO they said its right---- but in the end its usally 99% the timing is off and 1 tooth off is more than enough

Just my 2cents

Last edited by cruserdad1976; 24 Mar 2015 at 04:59 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the feed back, I haven't had any issue with my PT until now, it has 139k on it. I just hope their is no engine damage done when the belt went. I'll know more tomorrow when it is apart.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you're okay with the big bill.. and it's not uncommon at a grand... I'd give it to a dealer.. Genuine parts, experience and most of all? The right people doing the right work and it's backed.
IMHO
rckstein likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
Most or at least a lot of the shops dont seem to want to work on the timing belt --now like Nitro says ,
a REAL Teck really shouldnt care ,but it is a pain no matter who you are, or how good you are ,there
is verry little room in the engin bay
I would say it is a poor design, but then im really just a red neck from missouri
But I will say it could have been designed Better.
If a shop does not really want to work on a PT then they don't work on dozens of other model vehicles as well.

Sorry to disagree with you on the PT and how it is to work on but really I am slighlty high of 6ft 200lbs and have very little problems getting around the engine bay to do just about anything.

Now you might switch automakers and check out my MINI again. Comparing the two cars I would work on the PT any day and the MINI I need to talk myself into working on it. Everything is fit perfectly for a midget to work on it! But I still get by just a few more cuts scratches and dropped tools than with the PT.

It is all about "EXCUSES" from those that claim most vehicles since around the 80's are hard to work on. Back than everybody complained about all the emissions hoses and equipment. Then in the 90's it was the downsizing of the engine compartment and engineered fitment much as the complaints are today.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...other-car.html

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN