PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just bought a 2008 PT Convertible

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Dec 2016, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just bought a 2008 PT Convertible

I just picked up a 2008 PT convertible, Cool Vanilla with beige top....202,300 one-owner miles! This car looks and runs like a 30-40,000 mile car. Will post pics later.

I have had a 2008 Sebring Limited convertible with the hard top for years. The Sebring is very low miles, just over 60,000.
rckstein and Carnut like this.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 05:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just bought a 2008 PT Convertible

Welcome to the forum

Looking forward to the pics

Since you are the 2nd owner, you can join the Chrysler High Miler club and get a nice 200,000 mile metal license plate frame for your PT.
SanAntonioJoe likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
155k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Dec 2016 at 09:08 am.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 09:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. I wonder how many times the timing belt and water pump have been changed?
SanAntonioJoe likes this.

Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated but there's no fixing stupid!
Old 26 Dec 2016, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Dec 2016 at 07:40 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, wondering about the timing belt and water pump, also. Pulled the Carfax, it showed it being worked on several times at an auto repair place not too far from me. I'm going to contact them to see if they did it, and if so, when.

The dealer I bought it from is a friend of mine, so when the title comes in, before he puts it in my name, I will get a copy with the previous owner's name. I'll contact him/her to see what the maintenance record is like.

If those both fail, I will remove the belt cover to see if there is a date on the belt. Even if there WAS a date showing when the belt was made, I expect the print to be worn off of the smooth side of the belt by the tensioner. Hopefully, there will be a sticker on the inside of the belt cover.

By the way, I had the car up on ramps tonight to change a fog light bulb; the car is spotless underneath. I'm thinkin' I got LUCKY finding this car! Oh, don't ask me how many times I've had the top down; I've lost count already. It was 74-78 degrees the last few days (sorry to those of you not lucky enough to be in Texas.....).

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to track down a car's maintenance history, or how to confirm when (or if) the belt was changed?

Smilin' Joe
Handy_Cruiser and Carnut like this.
Old 30 Dec 2016, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just talked to the original owner. With 202,300 miles, the timing belt and water pump have been changed......ZERO times! Yep, it has the original belt and pump!

His wife used it as a commuter car. It may seem odd to folks in some parts of the country for an '08 to have more than 200K miles, but it isn't that unheard of here in Texas.

So, the car stays in my garage until next week when I can get it into the shop. For those that know these cars, what is THE BEST brand and type of belt to use as a replacement? Keep in mind this is a non-turbo car.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Joe
Old 30 Dec 2016, 09:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioJoe View Post
Just talked to the original owner. With 202,300 miles, the timing belt and water pump have been changed......ZERO times! Yep, it has the original belt and pump!

His wife used it as a commuter car. It may seem odd to folks in some parts of the country for an '08 to have more than 200K miles, but it isn't that unheard of here in Texas.

So, the car stays in my garage until next week when I can get it into the shop. For those that know these cars, what is THE BEST brand and type of belt to use as a replacement? Keep in mind this is a non-turbo car.

Joe
Wow, that may be a record for having the original and no problems

When do we get to see pics

USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Dec 2016, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Joe
Well Joel
I will say that the miles are not hard for me to believe I drive a ton of miles to work and home close to 200 a day the 202.300 miles on the original timing belt is pretty hard to believe I'm NOT saying I don't im saying that is really really a stretch in fact that probably has to be the record for miles and really as hot as it gets in Texas that makes it harder but hey if you say it is then Original it is a lot of guys use the Gates Belt kit I don't think you will fine any that will give you them kind of miles
Old 31 Dec 2016, 12:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Joe
I would suggest replacing the water pump when you replace the timing belt.
Old 31 Dec 2016, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope your PT is fine and you enjoy it, and maybe it was running so good the original owner didn't worry about it, but I would maybe be a little concerned that they missed such an important service item as the timing belt replacement, not once but twice, that I would question the entire maintenance history of the vehicle.

Since you have been in contact with the original owner, I would try to get from them any receipts or work orders for any and all past repairs and service.

USMC '82 - '93