PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Unplanned new member: '03 GT

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2017, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Unplanned new member: '03 GT

HI all,
Came here because I am the "new" owner of a 03 PT GT turbo. Actually, the old owner, I just took possession. My son picked it up a few years ago and has been driving it until he was stuck between two trucks on the highway to hit a significant pot hole that took out a couple of wheels/tires, and cracked something on the automatic transmission. He is in the PNW and I am in SW Michigan. He took it to a couple of "shops" (yeah, they call themselves mechanics) and they wanted to change the tranny. Not on my watch!
Decided it was more prudent to ship it here and do the work myself.

After a number of phone calls, determined that the leak wasn't ridiculous, It wasn't slipping or shuddering, and the fluid smelled good. Sounded salvageable to me. I could fly out there, find a space to work, and loose time at work, or for $850, have it delivered to my door. It arrived yesterday, and I gave it a test drive, all seemed normal other than the small puddle when it pee'd on the ground.

It has 83k on it, so a timing belt kit was ordered, and called Fastenal and got some bolts on the way for the harmonic balancer removal . Searching got me to here, and after reading all 26 pages of Busted_PT's thread last night, I decided I would get good info here and not just which chrome to buy and everyone's favorite color.

So, now I get to learn all I can about PT's and start yet one more addiction. Oh well. I did recently hear that the chassis was basically a Neon, still looking into learning more about that, and find out just how much, as my son-in-law has one of those.

I have heard that there are a number of people that find a Neon makes a good Rally car, maybe find a clapped out manual PT and start to play.

Well, for now, just get this one running right.

Thanks to all that contribute. These types of forums and the people that frequent them make saving a older car much more bearable. Now, to decide how to split my time between here, and the Vanagon forum... conflicted...

Bo

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Mar 2017 at 05:53 am.
Old 07 Mar 2017, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Unplanned new mwmber: '03 GT

Welcome to the forum

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
155k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Mar 2017, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Mar 2017, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

to the forum.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 07 Mar 2017, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Welcome from Shelby twp. mi.
Old 07 Mar 2017, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!
Old 08 Mar 2017, 01:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.
Old 08 Mar 2017, 02:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

First: thank you all for the welcome. much appreciated.
Second: if a mod wants to change my stupid spelling error in the title...
Third: Put the PT on the lift today... wait for it... NOT A MARK on the underside!
Makes me want to take a plane to WA and find the shop that told him he needed a new transmission. Have a little friendly "chat". Why are people like that? I guess time will come soon enough, they will have to answer for that. Oh well.
The oil leaks were incidental. The oil cooler and hose is wet, and the side cover and possibly the pan on the automatic trans is leaking. Routine maintenance at worst. Gaskets and some RightStuff should fix that right up. I'll do the timing belt/pump/idler and it'll be darn near perfect.

I have to admit, I'm having a ball driving it. My other daily drivers are a giant Audi V8 Quattro and a '96 3/4 ton Yukon. I forgot how light and nimble small cars really are.

Well, now to get on learning about the other specifics of these strange little "cars".

bo
Old 08 Mar 2017, 01:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from NYC.
Old 08 Mar 2017, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroko View Post
First: thank you all for the welcome. much appreciated.
Second: if a mod wants to change my stupid spelling error in the title...
Third: Put the PT on the lift today... wait for it... NOT A MARK on the underside!
Makes me want to take a plane to WA and find the shop that told him he needed a new transmission. Have a little friendly "chat". Why are people like that? I guess time will come soon enough, they will have to answer for that. Oh well.
The oil leaks were incidental. The oil cooler and hose is wet, and the side cover and possibly the pan on the automatic trans is leaking. Routine maintenance at worst. Gaskets and some RightStuff should fix that right up. I'll do the timing belt/pump/idler and it'll be darn near perfect.

I have to admit, I'm having a ball driving it. My other daily drivers are a giant Audi V8 Quattro and a '96 3/4 ton Yukon. I forgot how light and nimble small cars really are.

Well, now to get on learning about the other specifics of these strange little "cars".

bo
Glad it wasn't as bad as advertised. Good mechanics are often very hard to find and shop owners can be greedy. But there are some good folks out there too.

You can get a brand new tranny pan with a drain plug pretty cheaply if needed. If you are a Amazon Prime member, they are only around $25 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-80...ype=automotive

On the car itself, the 2003 PT GT is weakest of the PT GT's. In 2004 they increased the injector size and put a more aggressive tune in the computer (PCM). By simply adding a "Stage 1" (off-road/Street) performance PCM and the later model injectors (available in all 2004 and later turbo PT's), you will gain a substantial amount of power. It's likely the best bolt-on upgrade for the 2003 GT.