PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Want to buy PT Cruiser.....need advice

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By dougs
  • 2 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By booter2004
  • 3 Post By DRHRSH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2017, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Want to buy PT Cruiser.....need advice

I am just starting to look for a PT Cruiser for my oldest grandaughter. I have above average automotive mechanical skills and good tools. I am not afraid to repair things, but would like any advice I can get about problem areas in these cars. In searching the web it seems that the 2006 is a year to avoid due to high numbers of problems. Thank you
Old 16 Jul 2017, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Want to buy PT Cruiser.....need advice

to the forum.

The 2006 is the year Chrysler made a design change in the body and interior. I believe all the mechanical parts including the engine are about the same except for a placement of a couple of items.

A couple of things to lookout for is the engine cooling system and A/C. Let the car idle for about 15 minutes with the A/C on high. Check the temp gauge and it shouldn't rise about 1/2 way. Take it for a ride and see if you can find a bumpy road and listen to see how the suspension works and sounds. The biggest job price wise is the timing belt. About 8 hours labor plus parts. Most dealers (if you can't do it) will be in the $1200 range so if your close to 100,000 on the odometer, bring the asking price down and tell the seller why.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Jul 2017 at 06:03 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 06:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Glad to see you made it to the forum, David. You guys be nice to David, he's a buddy from another forum. He wants to keep his granddaughter safe and sound, as we'd all want if we had grand kids. I steered him here so he could get some good feedback.
Gkon likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

I believe in 2006 Chrysler made a big change -- changed the whole electronic/electrical system to a more modern integrated system called Can-Bus. I believe there were many complaints in 2006 of flickering dash lights, car stalling in traffic, etc etc which resulted from this new system. I have a 2006 (bought new) and a 2008, and have never had any electrical problems. Just the usual wear-out items: radiator, control arms/bushings, engine mounts, battery. Just replaced timing belts and various bits in both also, at appx. 85,000 miles.
ptprice likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 12:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Jul 2017, 02:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

SOOO BIG and I welcome you to the Forum.
I like the earlier PT models. 2005 being the last year of the first series. From year to year, till 2005, Chrysler kept to the same premise, but over the years, to cut costs, eliminated some of the really neat first generation features. The rear shelf panel went by the way side as did the under the seat storage drawer. The back of the front seat storage area was replaced with a poor substitute or a solid panel and the engine Vanity Cover was no longer available. I was fortunate enough to replaced SOOO BIG's seats with a nice set of 2001 suede and leather seats. I like them better than his original leather or the cloth seats. I found all the other stuff strolling through salvage yards.

Fortunately all these items are still available with a similar stroll through your local salvage yard. See photos below.

All told, I can't add more to the previous PT advise give. Suffice to say the PT is fun, predictably reliable, safe, handles well, comfortable and best of all in SOOO BIG's case, paid for.

I'd say a PT for your granddaughter would be a good choice. Maybe she'd enjoy a salvage yard stroll with you.

I'll be wishing her Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1801 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1765 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1621 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1623 (480x640).jpg
rockandroller and dougs like this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 17 Jul 2017 at 06:58 pm.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 10:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The rear suspension uses what is called a "watts link" (aka bell crank or something like that), it will most likely be bad. It's a highly neglected part, and when it's bad, it sounds like the whole rear end is gonna fall off.
Both the top and bottom torque struts will likely be bad also, in my experience. They're often neglected by the average, normal driving person because it doesn't seem to accentuate the rough idle in the pts like it does in neons and pretty much every other car.
The radiator fan can trick even the largest headed mechanics, bc when they fail, it's usually only one of the two speeds... So, just bc the fan comes on don't mean it's good. And these wonky fans often lead to excessive overheating by neglectful and unsavvy drivers, leading to cracked radiators and in worse cases, head gasket issues.
ALL in all, they're good cars. But they have a decent list of common repairs, but they're cheap to work on, and easy, in my opinion.
Good luck!
Old 17 Jul 2017, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've had 3 pts go WELL over 200k miles. And my turbo has 181k... I'm not scared of mileage, especially since it's a non-interference engine.
Gkon likes this.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for all the good tips! And thanks to Chuzz for directing me here. That's exactly the advice I need. Of course my grandaughter wants one because they are "cute", which is OK, I just want a used vehicle I can keep in good shape for her. Working on an 08 with 73k miles. They want $3300, seems pretty good to me.
LionPT, Gkon and chuzz like this.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 01:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHRSH View Post
Thanks everyone for all the good tips! And thanks to Chuzz for directing me here. That's exactly the advice I need. Of course my grandaughter wants one because they are "cute", which is OK, I just want a used vehicle I can keep in good shape for her. Working on an 08 with 73k miles. They want $3300, seems pretty good to me.
Check the maintenance history. At 73,000 miles, if not so done already, you can probably assume within the next 20,000 miles: radiator and/or fan assembly, corntrol arms, engine mounts, timing belt change. Count on investing $2,000.
In my opinion.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.