PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Deth da (good day) from Cornwall, UK

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2017, 06:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Deth da (good day) from Cornwall, UK

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 22 Oct 2017, 04:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Morning all, it is 9am here in Cornwall and the sun is actually shining, wonder how long that will last?! Thanks for the friendly welcome and useful advice and pointers everybody.

A cam belt change is on the 'to do' list as I have not got any service history and although mileage is low the age is not. Other drive belts will be done at the same time as a matter of course plus cam belt tensioner. Often you are advised to change the water pump at the same time as the cam belt- I will read up on this and whether the 2.0 is an 'interference' motor. I have done cambelt changes before, but on my last runabout (Kia Rio with the basic 1.3l 8 valve motor) I failed to get the crank pulley bolt off and had to get it done by the local garage, which fortunately is an old fashioned local outfit with the attitude of doing good work at a fair price so that customers come back for the next job...

I had a search on line re the ABS issue before we bought the car and decided that the usual known causes looked fixable at a reasonable price, hopefully

I have already got a pdf of the Chrysler workshop manual but not looked at it in detail yet, is it worth getting the Haynes as well?

The OEM 16" wheels are definitely in a bad state and I have looked at what can be done with them- chemical stripping and physical blasting are both said to be hard to achieve without damaging the alloy beneath. I very much suspect that even if possible it will cost a lot more than the best deals I have seen for suitable new alloys at around 220-300 a set. Also we might just fancy going to 17" rims, though that would mean new tyres as well. Then there is the issue of the missing centre cap, which I think is specific to the Street Cruiser.

One thing I forgot- all side and tailgate glass have a medium tint which is not in the glass but a film applied internally, which I am guessing is not OEM. This is having issues with little streaky bubbles appearing between it and the glass, worst unfortunately in the drivers door. I imagine this can be stripped off, possibly with the help of some gentle heat from e.g. a hairdryer?
Old 22 Oct 2017, 05:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

If you want to find out a lot about your PT, you can go to this website to get the Build Sheet:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

In the left-hand column, under YOUR VEHICLE, click on Equipment Listing, then on the next screen that loads in the white box in the center of the screen, enter the enter the VIN which can be found on a sticker on the edge of the drivers door, then click the red Search box.

The Build Sheet will list everything that was put onto/into your PT when manufactured.
Have now looked it up, plus the recall link (one recall B23 re fuel pump mounting, listed as completed).

Equipment Listing

Vehicle Description 2002 PT CRUISER LIMITED (RHD)
Light Group
Monotone Paint
Smoker's Group
120 Amp Alternator
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Rear 65/35 Fold/Tumble/Remvble Seat
Manual Driver Lumbar Adjust
Frt Pass Forward Fold Flat Seat
E-Marked Seat Belts
Supplemental Side Air Bags
Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready
Next Generation Front Air Bags**
Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
Cargo Compartment Carpet
Cargo Net
Door Sill Scuff Pads
Heated Front Seats
Multi Position Shelf Panel
Interior Assist Handles
Mini Overhead Console
Full Length Floor Console
Non-Locking Underseat Storage Drawer
Solar Control Glass
Rear Window Defroster
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
10/22/17

Rear View Day/Night Mirror
Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
Keyless Entry
Rear Door Child Protection Locks
Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
Air Conditioning
Deluxe Insulation Group
Instrument Panel
Instrument Cluster w/Tach
Tachometer
Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Dual Note Electric Horns
12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
Locking Glove Box
Headlamp Leveling System
12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
12V Center Console Power Outlet
Power Auto Central Locking Locks
Driver's Seat Power Height Adjuster
Pwr Windows, Front 1-Touch Down
AZTEC YELLOW P/C - Extension
Console Flood Lamp
Front Dome Lamp
Cargo Compartment Lamp
Front European Turn Signal
Side Repeater Lens
Quad RHD Optics Headlamps
10/22/17

Fog Lamps
Rear Fog Lamps
CHMSL Lamp
Backup Lamp
Front Body Color Fascia
Front Wide License Plate Bracket
Rear Painted Fascia
Bright Door Handles
PT Cruiser Badge
Chrysler Wing Badge, Hood
Liftgate Chrysler Wing Badge
Chrysler Badge
EVAP Control System
Bright Exhaust Tip
15 Gallon Fuel Tank
Power Steering Cooler
High Speed Engine Controller
Inca Gold Pearl Coat
6 Speakers
Fixed Long Mast Antenna
Firm Feel Power Steering
Euro Suspension
Front Stabilizer Bar
Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
Tilt Steering Column
Compact Spare Tire
205/55R16 All Season Tires
-35F Protection Anti-Freeze
Front/Rear Climate Control Outlets
10/22/17

Locking Fuel Filler Cap
Undercoating
Build To Export Mkt. Specifications
GVW/Payload Rating
Export Non-Homologated
Zone 06-Export
Full Body Anti Chip Tracking
Right Hand Drive (RHD)
Vehicle Order Tracking
Prem Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
Taupe/Pearl Beige
United Kingdom Equipment Group
Street Cruiser Series Group
510 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Traction Control
Supplemental Frt Seat Side Air Bags
Luxury Front & Rear Floor Mats
Removable Ash Tray
5-Speed Manual T350 Transmission
3.20 Overall Top Gear Ratio
2.0L I4 DOHC 16V SMPI Engine
140 MPH Primary Speedometer
Cigar Lighter
Premium Security Alarm
High Fuel Efficiency Badge
Platinum 300C Rear Badge
Street Cruiser Badge
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
10/22/17

European III Emissions
Speed Control
Inca Gold Pearl Coat
AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Goodyear Brand Tires
16" Aluminum Wheels
Tow Hooks
English/UK Language
2 Additional Gallons of Gas
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Right Rear
Spring - Right Front
FAM: PG TRACKING: 10510S06 MY:2002
FAM:PG TRACKING: 10724S09AE MY:2002
FAM: PG TRACKING: 10912S06 MY:2002
FAM: PG TRACKING: 10326S05 MY:2002
FAM:PG TRACKING: 10724S09AB MY:2002
Customer Preferred Package 2DL
Customer Preferred Package 25L
Intl. Price Protection B
Coso Wt. & D.M.
Coso Spbr Not Required
Market Homologation
Export Ocean Freight
Export Insurance
1NTL 37 DAY SCHEDULE
Special Scheduling Condition III
10/22/17

Export Option Requirements
Certificate of Conformance
European E Mark Label
Manufacturer Body Plate
United Kingdom Country Code
Western Europe Region Group
EMEA Region (Europe)
10/22/17
Old 22 Oct 2017, 06:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Incidentally the VIN has code letter U in position 11, which apparently means it was built at the Eurostar plant in Austria.
rckstein likes this.
Old 22 Oct 2017, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
Morning all, it is 9am here in Cornwall and the sun is actually shining, wonder how long that will last?! Thanks for the friendly welcome and useful advice and pointers everybody.

A cam belt change is on the 'to do' list as I have not got any service history and although mileage is low the age is not. Other drive belts will be done at the same time as a matter of course plus cam belt tensioner. Often you are advised to change the water pump at the same time as the cam belt- I will read up on this and whether the 2.0 is an 'interference' motor. I have done cambelt changes before, but on my last runabout (Kia Rio with the basic 1.3l 8 valve motor) I failed to get the crank pulley bolt off and had to get it done by the local garage, which fortunately is an old fashioned local outfit with the attitude of doing good work at a fair price so that customers come back for the next job...

I had a search on line re the ABS issue before we bought the car and decided that the usual known causes looked fixable at a reasonable price, hopefully

I have already got a pdf of the Chrysler workshop manual but not looked at it in detail yet, is it worth getting the Haynes as well?

The OEM 16" wheels are definitely in a bad state and I have looked at what can be done with them- chemical stripping and physical blasting are both said to be hard to achieve without damaging the alloy beneath. I very much suspect that even if possible it will cost a lot more than the best deals I have seen for suitable new alloys at around 220-300 a set. Also we might just fancy going to 17" rims, though that would mean new tyres as well. Then there is the issue of the missing centre cap, which I think is specific to the Street Cruiser.

One thing I forgot- all side and tailgate glass have a medium tint which is not in the glass but a film applied internally, which I am guessing is not OEM. This is having issues with little streaky bubbles appearing between it and the glass, worst unfortunately in the drivers door. I imagine this can be stripped off, possibly with the help of some gentle heat from e.g. a hairdryer?
The film can be removed but the key is to get all the adhesive removed as well. I was having the film changed on my PT to something a little darker than what the dealership had installed. The shop that was removing the original film failed to get all the old adhesive removed. Therefore, when they installed their new film, it was terrible as there were all kinds of small bubbles! I had to have the job redone at another shop.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 23 Oct 2017, 05:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Niggle from the exact opposite side of the country (Im in the frozen wilds of the North east) good to see another brit with a cruiser that has the steering wheel on the correct side
rockandroller likes this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 05:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The film can be removed but the key is to get all the adhesive removed as well. I was having the film changed on my PT to something a little darker than what the dealership had installed. The shop that was removing the original film failed to get all the old adhesive removed. Therefore, when they installed their new film, it was terrible as there were all kinds of small bubbles! I had to have the job redone at another shop.
That first shop sounds like what we Brits like to call a 'cowboy' outfit (no offence intended to any genuine cowboys on here ).

I imagine the adhesive will come of with the help of some solvent or other, e.g. acetone, white spirits or methanol. I will probably have a go at the driver's door glass soon and report back what worked best.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 05:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbuttyman View Post
Hi Niggle from the exact opposite side of the country (Im in the frozen wilds of the North east) good to see another brit with a cruiser that has the steering wheel on the correct side
Hi Chipbuttyman, if I was born locally I might call myself Pastyman, but I was born in Bradford...

Typical lunchtime snack in deepest West Cornwall:

Old 23 Oct 2017, 07:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbuttyman View Post
Do I get a prize for being a Brit with two steering wheels both on the wrong side??
chipbuttyman likes this.
Old 23 Oct 2017, 07:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
That first shop sounds like what we Brits like to call a 'cowboy' outfit (no offence intended to any genuine cowboys on here ).

I imagine the adhesive will come of with the help of some solvent or other, e.g. acetone, white spirits or methanol. I will probably have a go at the driver's door glass soon and report back what worked best.
Acetone Alcohol and a Stanley blade are your friends.

Start with the Acetone and Stanley blade, and drink the alcohol when you get bored and and your fingers hurt.
rockandroller likes this.