PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Deth da (good day) from Cornwall, UK

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2017, 05:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Deth da (good day) from Cornwall, UK

Hi all, greetings from Cornwall, in the far South West of the UK. I have just registered to the forum having bought a 'project' 2002 Street Cruiser Series 1 2.0l petrol last weekend.

It is an interesting prospect- we paid a whopping 170 for this 55,000 mile car which sounds great, but it has been off the road for a year or more, no MOT and has various mechanical and cosmetic issues.

Mechanical stuff:

Badly grinding brakes, whether braking or not (though the latter may have been improving on the 10 mile country lane drive home) with visibly rusty, pitted and scored discs, plus handbrake lever has lots of excess travel.

ABS light on permanently.

Traction Off light on permanently (related to the above?)

Regular squeaking noise from engine bay, again improving a bit over time I think, sounds like alternator belt noise to me but could be something else.

Air con only working weakly (hopefully just needs a recharge).

Cosmetic stuff:

Peeling clear coat, lots of patches on the roof plus some more on the bonnet (hood), wings (fenders) and tailgate. Doors virtually unaffected.

OEM chromed alloys severely corroded with plating bubbling, peeling and falling off, plus one centre cap missing.

Headlining sagging a lot- no staining and only the top fabric detached from the foam which feels good underneath, so maybe can take it out and re-stick it with spray adhesive?

Some flaking of the top finish on the dashboard switch panel.

Good stuff:

The COLOUR

Engine, gearbox, clutch, suspension and steering all seem absolutely fine: it drives lovely apart from the braking. MOT history checks out re mileage, no advisories last time and very few previously, only concerning ones being a couple of fails in earlier years for emissions.

Apart from the aforementioned the interior is superb, a slight 'patina' to the leather seats but no stains, wear, splits or tears, heated and power front seats work fine, all the other interior trim fabric and plastics is near perfect.

Plan: get it mechanically sound and MOT'd then start using it regularly, then if and when funds are available deal with the cosmetics, the paint being the biggest outlay by a big margin, the wheels will be replaced as refurbishment would be expensive and difficult to do well, plus finding a new matching centre cap will probably be mission impossible anyway.

Pics to follow.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 06:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Deth da (good day) from Cornwall, UK

Welcome to the forum

If you want to find out a lot about your PT, you can go to this website to get the Build Sheet:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

In the left-hand column, under YOUR VEHICLE, click on Equipment Listing, then on the next screen that loads in the white box in the center of the screen, enter the enter the VIN which can be found on a sticker on the edge of the drivers door, then click the red Search box.

The Build Sheet will list everything that was put onto/into your PT when manufactured.
Handy_Cruiser and niggle like this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 21 Oct 2017, 06:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for this, will look ours up later. My other half has named it Gatsby for some reason

I have uploaded the seller's pics from the original ad on Gumtree to my gallery. Note that taking photos of a car when it is wet is a good way to disguise clear coat peeling but to be fair the seller did warn me about that and most of the other issues before we went to view it, plus really I got it for a good price. Re the wheels SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed, aka The Missus) wants silver and I am leaning towards black or graphite. Re the paint, a full respray is almost certainly the only way to go, which then brings up the choice between keeping it stock Inca Gold or going for something different, I fancy a sparkly flip job in green & gold
rockandroller likes this.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 07:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
Hi all, greetings from Cornwall, in the far South West of the UK.

Pics to follow.

Mornin' duck

Or "moin" as we say here in little old Saarland
Old 21 Oct 2017, 08:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. You got a PT Cruiser, you're going to need this place.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 21 Oct 2017, 09:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum from me and SOOO BIG.

Youv'e got a great low mileage, multi challenge PT project. Most of us have been there too. The Forum is the place to get the help, support and advise you'll need. Good luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

For the squeaking issue, change the drive belts and belt tensioner. For the ABS light, here's some good forum threads to read:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pt+c...w=1280&bih=639

And you can download a copy of the service manual for your PT from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing
niggle likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Oct 2017 at 09:27 am.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 10:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Pontiac, MI! Good luck with getting her sorted and enjoy!
Old 21 Oct 2017, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi mate I'm a newbie too, originally from west Yorkshire, but now just across the water in Brittany France. Mine is a 2007 convertible. I have issues with my wheels but think I am going to have a go at blasting and painting them myself, But as there is just a pretend spare wheel I will have to do one a week lol Good luck
Old 21 Oct 2017, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonela View Post
Hi mate I'm a newbie too, originally from west Yorkshire, but now just across the water in Brittany France. Mine is a 2007 convertible. I have issues with my wheels but think I am going to have a go at blasting and painting them myself, But as there is just a pretend spare wheel I will have to do one a week lol Good luck
You should go back and update your intro thread to include pics of your 'vert, as when you posted about it, you were still contemplating buying it

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93