PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which PT turbo to Buy and heat

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2017, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Which PT turbo to Buy and heat

This is follow up to a post I put up a month ago. I was looking at a 2003 and 2006 gt, well I ended up with 2004GT I found in Florida. The car had 82,000 miles two owner car.Interior is just about perfect, the exterior looks good from about 10feet but the clear coat is failing.The mechanicals seems pretty good, the car runs strong. Wow, I did not know these cars were such a hoot, way more fun than my old 2001. I do have one question I am just getting lukewarm heat.I flushed the system replaced the thermostat and bleed the system. Any suggestions.
Thanks for the response I received on my first thread.
By the way for some reason, they blocked me from the forum when I first joined and set me a message that I was spamming of which I have no idea what that was about and never received a response to my inquiry.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 10:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which PT turbo to Buy and heat

Where did you send an inquiry to?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 11:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Pontiac, MI! Good luck sticking around this time!
Old 27 Oct 2017, 11:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 28 Oct 2017, 03:41 am
Young Cruiser

Did you have adequate heat before your flush and fill?
Old 28 Oct 2017, 04:03 am
Cool Cruiser

How are you judging this "luke warmness"?

A PT's temperature gauge is about as much use as a chocolate teapot for actually assessing how hot the engine is - it's more like a glorified trip switch: cold - correct - boiling over. It could just be sitting low because the sensor is porked. Have you checked the wiring to the sensor?
(Not 100% sure on a GT, but the sensor is probably somewhere low down on the thermostat housing)

After driving / running for a sensible time, and the gauge doesn't go any higher, can you hold the top hose or is it too hot to hold?

What are your fans doing? Has someone cod wired the fan so it's on fast speed constantly?

Try screening the radiator off and see if it gets any warmer?
Old 28 Oct 2017, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagatotz View Post
This is follow up to a post I put up a month ago. I was looking at a 2003 and 2006 gt, well I ended up with 2004GT I found in Florida. The car had 82,000 miles two owner car.Interior is just about perfect, the exterior looks good from about 10feet but the clear coat is failing.The mechanicals seems pretty good, the car runs strong. Wow, I did not know these cars were such a hoot, way more fun than my old 2001. I do have one question I am just getting lukewarm heat.I flushed the system replaced the thermostat and bleed the system. Any suggestions.
Thanks for the response I received on my first thread.
By the way for some reason, they blocked me from the forum when I first joined and set me a message that I was spamming of which I have no idea what that was about and never received a response to my inquiry.
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Short of a Dream Cruiser, a 2004 GT is likely the best most easily modified turbo PT to buy. So you did great.

On the no-heat issue with the temp gauge reading low, it is likely:

A bad temp sensor.
Faulty replacement thermostat.
Air in the cooling system not letting the coolant heat the sensor.

First make sure the air is bled out of the cooling system. If no joy, I'd then replace the temp sensor since the thermostat has been replaced. These are inexpensive, so its worth trying. If no joy, I'd then replace the thermostat again. And if that fixes it, I'd get a refund on the first thermostat at the parts store.

If the issue is just no heat from the heater, first check to make sure the temp gauge needle is reading about right in the middle when the engine is warm. If not, I'd do as above. But if the needle is pretty well centered, then it may be a problem with the blend door or the controls. The vacuum solenoid for the blend door is behind the glove box. It's usually silver and easy to identify. Just put your hand on it and see if you can feel it working when you change the temp control with the heater on and the engine running. You should feel and possibly hear the movement. If not, you will need the service manual for further diagnostics. Here's a copy if you don't have one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Of course, the issue could be other problems as well. But I believe these are the most likely based on what you have said.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Oct 2017 at 01:33 pm.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagatotz View Post
I do have one question I am just getting lukewarm heat.I flushed the system replaced the thermostat and bleed the system. Any suggestions.
Welcome to the forum

Luke warm where? Coming out the vents?

The temperature gauge does work just not for actually indicating exact temperatures from 208F-215F. If it is running close to center position most likely you are ok for the gauge area?

Your engine will self bleed if you have all the correct cooing system parts from your year if you simply fill the system and drive at least 2 drive cycles. Chrysler corrected the head casting problem in the first couple years of the PT Cruiser production.

I recommend to get a hand held temperature diagnostic tool to check several area's before assuming anything or to do any recommendations to correct a problem that may not be a problem but IMHO could be a problem in the making with some things I already read. lol
chuzz likes this.
Old 28 Oct 2017, 05:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum, dude. I'm NOT a mechanic, so will not comment on the heat problem. You've already heard from 2 ASE mechanics!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 29 Oct 2017, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the welcomes.
My problem with the heat is heat in the car. I flushed out the system like I mentioned replaced the thermostat. The engine temp is great, the motor heats maintain temp almost dead center in the gauge, hoses are hot but I only gets lukewarm air out of the vents. The vent position dial works properly directing the air to the appropriate outlets. The temperature dial turns normally but at wide open, the best I get is a bearly warm breeze. When running the ac every seems proper, get cold as hell.I was thinking that from what I read that it could be the blend door? How hard is it to get to it and replace if necessary?
Winter is coming.