PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > PTCruiserLinks.com > Welcome New PT Cruiser Members

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hi from Trenton

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By alwayswill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hi from Trenton

Hi, Will here. I'm currently based in NJ. Not an owner of a PT (as we know of yet), but think it's time to make a choice. Gonna read hard to speculate on pros and cons, get some idea of the experience you guys have with your vehicles and keep an yey on the marketplace section (and will add my twocents occasionally) Thank you for having me!
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Hi from Trenton

Welcome to the forum from Pontiac, MI!

Good luck with your hunt for a car and remember all forums of this type talk about what people are having trouble with!

I can only speak for myself when I say I find my PT just a flat out fun car to drive. It was a well maintained vehicle and I keep it that way and really, knock on wood, haven't had any real problems.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Good luck on your search, but there are still some nice PT's out there to be found

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 17 Jan 2018, 11:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

here is a link to threads on this site about what to look for buying a PT. after looking at a few, you'll notice they all pretty much mention the same things. timing belt, make sure the fan works and coolant doesn't leak, control arm bushings, bla bla bla

click: thinking of buying a pt

Old 17 Jan 2018, 12:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from East Texas.

I have had my Cruiser for almost 4 years. Great little car. Bought it at a good price with 93,000 miles. I have done ALL of the normal fixes, timing belt, motor mounts, radiator fan, struts and shocks, watts link, lower control arms and tie rod ends. It's been very practical for me. I removed the rear seats and can haul tons of different things.

I say, don't be afraid to jump in and don't look back!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 17 Jan 2018, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayswill View Post
Hi, Will here. I'm currently based in NJ. Not an owner of a PT (as we know of yet), but think it's time to make a choice. Gonna read hard to speculate on pros and cons, get some idea of the experience you guys have with your vehicles and keep an yey on the marketplace section (and will add my twocents occasionally) Thank you for having me!
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Here's some tips for buying a PT Cruiser in today's market:

1. With a few exceptions, most PT's, no matter the options, models or year model are currently selling for similar prices in many places in the US. Condition is going to be the primary matter for price. This means you should choose the one you want and not settle for a lesser model. Why pay $2800 for a 2001 Base model when you could have a 2004 turbo Dream Cruiser for the same price?

2. PT's can be put into three eras. Early 1st Gen (2001/2002), Later 1st Gen (2003 thru 2005) and 2nd Gen (2006 thru 2010). There was also a slight upgrade to the auto transmission and a few other systems in 2007. Transition year models (2003 and 2006) have a few unique things about them depending on the model.

3. 1st Gen PT's have the most aftermarket accessories available for them and are generally easier to modify. If you want to mod your PT, a 1st Gen PT is going to make this a little easier.

4. Turbo PT's were made from 2003 thru 2008. From 2004 to 2008 there were two types. The first is the Touring and Limited Models with the turbo option. These are unofficially called "Turbo Lites". They make around 180 hp and use regular gasoline. The second type of turbo PT is the GT and includes the Dream Cruisers except for the non-turbo 2009 Dream Cruiser. Mechanically, the engines in the GT's are identical to the Turbo Lites. However, the computer (PCM) in the GT has more aggressive tuning. This allows the GT to have around 210 to 220 hp but these cars require premium fuel. This same level of performance and even more can be had with a Turbo Lite simply by upgrading the PCM which costs around $200. Again, premium fuel will be required.

5. If you want more horsepower than a stock non-turbo PT offers, buy a turbo PT. With the price of all these cars at similar levels, there is no reason to by a non-turbo and try to add performance to it.

6. The most important thing to look for when buying a PT Cruiser is the condition of the timing belt. On these cars, the risk of the timing belt breaking goes up after 100,000 miles. And yes, they do break. We have reports here all the time. So if the PT you plan to buy is approaching 100K or is over it, it will need a new timing belt if one has not already been installed. Changing the timing belt along with the other recommended items (water pump, tensioner, idler pulley) is a fairly involved and time consuming job. Expect to pay a few hundred for parts and supplies if you can do it yourself. If done at a shop, expect to pay between $1,000 and $2,000.

7. If not a broke timing belt, most PT Cruisers end their lives with a blown head gasket. This happens because the radiator cooling fan eventually fails and the engine overheats causing the head gasket to fail. Look for signs of overheating and head gasket repair when buying a PT.

8. Beyond this, the same applies as with most other cars. My advice is to watch your local Craigslist and monitor what the cars actually appear to sell for. There were more PT Cruisers made than any other modern US car. So there are LOTS of them for sale just about everywhere all the time.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Jan 2018 at 12:24 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. I don't have mine anymore, but given the opportunity to get another one if I had the money, I'd sure do it. I loved the way my 03 GT ran and handled. The mpg's weren't too good, but that may have been the way I drove it. I only got about 22 mpg. It's very versatile for hauling things too!

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 17 Jan 2018, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Feb 2018, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

thank you, guys! such massive feedback and lots of tips. really glad to be here