Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Western PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo, A/C and Power steering so far

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo, A/C and Power steering so far

I bought my 03 GT two and half years ago with 105,000 miles on it and thought I had got a good deal at $5000. Since then it has cost about $5000 to keep on the road, first up on the drive back from purchasing in slow traffic there was a noticeable clunk between foot on the gas and foot off, this was fixed by replacing the engine mounts which were badly sloped out. Looking under the hood and moving between foward and reverse, the engine would tilt 6" back and forward. Still this was an easy fix and better than the tranny which I thought might be causing the problem.
Next the power steering pump started to make an unattractive droning sound and I replaced it with a second hand one that has gone well so far. Replacing the pump didn't fix a high pitched squeal that altered with turning the wheel, after a lot of talking with the shop we replaced the hoses from the pump to steering control valve and fixed the squeal that way. That squeal was very annoying and hard to pin down and the hoses weren't cheap.
Next I heard a bubbling sound after shutting the engine down and discovered air being blown back into the coolant header tank from the radiator cap vent tube. This is not good, head gasket, cracked blocks etc, but I put a new radiator cap on and it hasn't done it since! A rare lucky break with the PT.
Next the A/C quit and by the time it was all over cost about a $1000 for a new compressor, leak chasing and gas recharges.
Next the Cam shaft position sensor limited the revs to about 2000 rpm. After reading about the symptoms on this blog a replaced it my self and solved the problem for about $45.
Next another annoying little clunk was a worn tie rod end.
The latest issue has been the Turbo. First sign of a problem was a whine on gentle hills that sounded like a police siren. Then the occasional puff of white smoke from the tail pipe which eventually turned to a constant cloud behind the car. Very embarrassing being caught in traffic on the way back to SF from Tahoe. The seals had gone in the turbo and it was pumping oil into the exhaust. I bought a new turbo cassette on the Internet for $325 and took it to my shop for installation. Took 2 mechanics 3 hours each to replace the turbo innards. I could have bought the whole assembly for $800 which would have saved labour and probably worked out about the same cost.

The car is running very nicely again now but I am wondering what's next, water pump? Alternator?.

It's fun to drive when it's not in the shop, I get about 17 mpg around town, it has the worst turning circle I have encountered.

I don't know how the car was treated before me and suspect it was poorly maintained but I wouldn't go the Chrysler way again with hindsight 20/20,

Get a Japanese car if you want reliability, a toyata will do 300k with out a spanner on it.

Good luck with your PT.

Last edited by Popcorn1; 16 Jul 2011 at 05:54 pm.