Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
APC Strut Tower Bar Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2005, 10:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default APC Strut Tower Bar Review

I got this APC Struts Bar from Ebay for $35+$15 shipping usually they sell for $80+shipping.

This bar looks exactly like the freedom bar which cost alot more. It fits perfectly and it wasn't in anythings way. I have a 2001 5-speed Manual and I didn't have any problem with the fitment or have any issue with the hood. Took me 5 minutes to install very straight forward.

Although it looks just like the freedom bar I'm not sure if it's as rigid. It's VERY VERY light which means the steel tubing is very thin. but for the $ it worth it

As for the difference u diff would feel the difference but don't expect too much the front end just feel a little more rigid...together I don't know why they never add this in as an option. for $50 everyone without one should atleast get one for their PT

Old 10 Jul 2005, 01:08 am
Cool Cruiser

I have the same one...ditto....

Went on in a few minutes.......

mike
Old 10 Jul 2005, 01:12 am
Senior Cruiser

I know that pic is that of a Freedom bar! Does your bar look just like that one and did it clear the clutch reservoir witout problems or mods??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 01:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

I know that pic is that of a Freedom bar! Does your bar look just like that one and did it clear the clutch reservoir witout problems or mods??
NO the one in the pic is the APC bar APC bar and the freedown bar looks and shape 100% alike. The only think is APC is very light and I never held a Freedom bar in my hand.....The upside to this is that this cheaper APC bar won't add anymore weight to the already heavy PT front end. The front is already so heavy I intentionally put the back sits back just so that it would balance out the front and rear weight distribution.

to answer your question NO the APC bar clears the clutch reservoir perfectly Just look at the pics I have up there thats a manual too and I had no problem with clearance anywhere. The bar does touch the reservior and some wires but never in the way. I was surprise how nice it fit. If the bar is made in a different shape off by maybe 1/4 of an inch than it would have proble but this APC bar is perfect fit. I was worry at 1st too.....
Old 11 Jul 2005, 04:18 am
Cool Cruiser

OK I have drive around ALOT today in the city and out. The front end of the car did feel a little more together and a little more rigid. the steering is slighty tigher but over all it's still not as good as a sports car but this is a mini mini van so can expect much. I only wish they had made this car with rear independent suspension...but even the front wasn't that good

one reminder is that I have a full polyurathane bushing kit install.......in a week or too I'll have new kyb struts and new OEM spring replacing my old stuff and I'll see how good it can be.....

I went for new OEM springs because using I had past exp of using lowering springs...it does get u fast around corner on track but in real life road u constantly slowdown for small bumps that it actuall slow down ur driving although u have better suspansion.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 09:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Here's where I picked up mine from on ebay...

I've boguht a couple of things from these
guys and no problems so far.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

mike
Old 11 Jul 2005, 12:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I put the APC Chrome one on both our Cruisers and it did stiffen the ride a bit.

John

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !