Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2005, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tire size

I have a '03 Turbo with 17" rims which I just had to replace the 2 front tires because of tread separation on one. I had to find some real quick and put on some Toyos, which are nice. My question is I don't like the look of the tread, high performance, and want to put on smaller rims because of the tire price. I do alot of driving, put on a lot of freeway miles so I don't need high performance tires. I will go through tires like crazy and really don't much like the thought of paying out 600-700 every 18 months. Can I put on smaller rims like a 16" so I could put on good tires but not necessarily a high perf one? I also don't like the low profile look on the rims, I like more rubber between the rim and the road. Thanks
Old 21 Aug 2005, 01:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

The short answer is "Yes".

One thing that I like to do when shopping tires is to go to the www.tirerack.com web page to check the different tire ratings. I can dig up all kinds of info (on wear for instance) and then choose to buy from them or go somewhere else.

Note, when you ask a tire question around here, no two answers will be the same.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Hmmm, there's nothing to prevent you from going to 16" rims if that's what you want...

You could then put on either the GoodYear TripleTred or the Michelin HydroEdge in 205/55/16.

I'm running the TripleTred on my Cruiser - it's H speed rated, sticks like glue, is great on all types of road, wet & dry, & is rated at something like 80,000 miles.

The Michelin has much the same tread pattern, wear characteristics, etc., but is T speed rated & costs a little more - I have a set of these on my Caddie CTS cuz my needs are much the same as yours...

Both of these tires handle amazingly well, given their treadwear life expectancy &, in my experience, give up little if anything to a supposed performance tire (both are light years above the GY Eagle LS or RS). Think you'd be happy with either...
2005 Turbo Lite, Stage 1, Mopar/Borla cat-back exhaust, Eibach swaybars, Bilstein coilovers, 18/8 TSW Montage wheels with 225/40/18 Exclaim UHPs, LED taillights, K & N drop-in & a few other goodies...
Old 21 Aug 2005, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Shodobe,

Just thought I'd through something in here. If you have the GT turbo (you didn't say) it's equipped with larger calipers than the normal PT so you have to watch which 16 inch wheels you buy.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I thought for some reason that all Turbos were GTs. Maybe not, but I do have a GT and I will probably just keep the 17s. The tires that were on there were Goodyear Eagles and wondered if these were the originals and whether they were not as good as they should have been. Thanks
Old 21 Aug 2005, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I maybe wrong, but I'm sure someone will correct me, but the PT's with the "Turbo Lite" engine (180hp using regular fuel) are not GT's.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 07:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The stock Goodyears on the GT are just as bad as the Goodyears on the n/a PT's.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic