PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Billstine Shocks on order

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade
Default Billstine Shocks on order

I was referred to this company that is a brother or something to kyb, only alot higher quality. They are $200 each for the rears, dnt know about front struts. I got them at 85 each, will be installing them on friday. Does anyone know anything about these shocks or the brand? My spelling on the brand could be off
Old 30 Aug 2005, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know who quoted the $200 each for a price, but I can pick them up out of Corvette catalog for $300 for a set of 4.

Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Bilstein (pronounced like TaylorMade spelled it - with a hard i) is arguably the top manufacturer of the highest quality shocks in the world. They're standard on many of the highest end sports and luxury cars, and have been the used extensively in offroad and road racing for years. They're hallmark is the single-tube high pressure gas shock. Bilstein is a German company while KYB, I believe, is Japanese - so there is no relation.

Watch out for getting a sport shock that will be too stiff and potentially uncomfortable on the street. I've been there and done that with both Bilsteins and KYBs.
Old 01 Sep 2005, 05:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Im pretty sure this shock will make the ride smoother, and the car will handle better, but not like a sport shock.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 01 Sep 2005, 07:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Don't know who quoted the $200 each for a price, but I can pick them up out of Corvette catalog for $300 for a set of 4.

[?] Got mine for $240 shipped for the 85
Old 02 Sep 2005, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

The bilsteins made a huge difference in handling, and the ride i cant tell yet, but its definitely not a stiff ride. now that im making some money again, i can afford to modify my car. i need more speed, but cant afford a turbo or supercharger, and im not selling my car. are there any more good horsepower boosters that came out recently? I havent been keeping up with the forum in a while.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 02 Sep 2005, 12:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TaylorMade

The bilsteins made a huge difference in handling, and the ride i cant tell yet, but its definitely not a stiff ride. now that im making some money again, i can afford to modify my car. i need more speed, but cant afford a turbo or supercharger, and im not selling my car. are there any more good horsepower boosters that came out recently? I havent been keeping up with the forum in a while.
Well if you don't plan on going turbo you could put on some headers.

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 02 Sep 2005, 12:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

TaylorMade - glad to hear you like the Bilsteins so far. Let us know how the ride comfort feels. I wasn't aware that Bilstein had started making a shock for Cruisers and I'll be very interested in getting them if they make them in a comfort or touring setting. That will still be stiffer than the stock one's I'm sure. Do you have the part numbers for what you got? Thanks.
Old 02 Sep 2005, 01:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Espresso and Crewzin -

So you guys have C4 vettes too? I've got a '91 convert with 28K miles. It's got the comfort suspension, and the fairly soft Bilstein shocks from the factory. I'm thinking they'll be good for a long time, and I may never need to replace them.

Have you been aware that Bilstein made an application for the Cruiser?
Old 06 Sep 2005, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have noticed that the ride comfort has improved. The rear end doesnt bounce around any more and i feel closer to the road. i dont think it hurt ride comfort at all. Again, i did only get the rear shocks.