Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel Balancing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2005, 05:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Wheel Balancing

Is there any reason why the chrome wheels on my 2001 Limited cannot be properly balanced by putting the weights only on the inside instead of the outside of the wheel? My dealer says they use spin balancing and must put the weights where the machine indicates and they may end up on the outside. My buddy who runs a repair shop always is able to balance my wheels by putting the weights on the inside only. Is the dealer just uninformed or does he have equipment that won't allow placing the weights on the inside?
Old 13 Sep 2005, 09:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

That little voice warning you about the dealer should be listened to. Dealers are like anyone else, some good, some bad. Ask around and find a professional tire installer. That may turn out to be another dealer, speed shop, etc.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 11:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take the advice of 2step and back-away quick from that dealer. Any competent tire dealer should be able to balance your wheels using only weights on the inside. Both my Vette and the 17" GT wheels that I have have been balanced numerous times with no weights on the outside and there's no problem with vibration.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 10:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Agree with Crewzin and 2step here. My local car dealers don't even do tires. If you have a problem you leave the car with them all day and they take it to a tire dealer! Found that out the hard way. You have to think Puck, look at all the rims that are bling bling, you don't see weights do you?
Old 14 Sep 2005, 04:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys. You confirmed my suspicions. I'll have the rotation and balancing done by my buddy. He's 50 miles up the road but it's time to visit him to see what new jokes he has heard lately!
Puck
Old 15 Sep 2005, 02:44 am
Senior Cruiser

I bought my Yokos at Americas Tires and the know what they are doing here in Ca anyways. NO exterior weights and they run smooth at speeds up to 100 mph. And free tire rotation and balancing to boot!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 12:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CruiserDan

most balancers used in the industry today , all you have to do is change a setting and it will balance it for inside wrights, stick on or clamp on. The dealer is misinformed about their own equiptment. Unless it is an older machine that doesnt have those options, but that is doubtful.

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd
Old 02 Nov 2005, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Both my '02 and '05 came from factory with weights on the outside of the alloy wheels.....[xx(]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles