Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Jackson Racing Supercharger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2005, 04:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Jackson Racing Supercharger

Hello, anyone else out there have a J.R. supercharger? I have some questions I would like to ask. I have one in my pt and right now it is running great, but a few months ago I had a check engine light come on and was wondering if anyone had similar problems? Code flashed siad the injectors were bad, but they aren't. Same thing keeps hapening only in 5th gear when throtle body is wide open and pedal is to the floor. Code keeps moving to diferent injectors, had it cleared and now I try not to drive it wide open in 5th gear to avoid the check engine light from coming on. Last time it came on it said it was a air/fuel ratio problem. Runing to lean. Need to richen it up some how.
Old 29 Nov 2005, 10:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yours is the first post I've seen from an owner of a JR supercharger. Other than your cel problem how do you like it? Is is comparable performance to the turbo lite? How did the install go? Doesn't JR have a tech support guy to go to?
Old 30 Nov 2005, 02:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

I like it. Not sure it was worth the money. Although now the price has droped dramatically. I bought mine originally for $3500. Now they (J.R.) has knocked off $1000! Makes me mad! There is a noticable difference in HP and torque. I had allot of other mods to begin with so it was not to dramatic. I love the pick up and the way it keeps pulling when you step on the gas. I talked to the guys at J.R. and they said they never had this problem before with the false code/check engine lite coming on. They have one instaled on a 01, 5 speed at J.R. But I seriously doubt they drive it every day with the troutle body wide open in 5th gear? I had my local dealership install mine. Add another $950 to the cost.

Dealership said the code was false. It kept saying it was the injectors that were bad and the car would misfire when it was in 5th gear. Dealership looked everything over and could not figure out the problem. The superchagrer came with it's own computer that pigy backs the stock CPU. The dealership said they thought that the computer "Power Card" (pigy back) was bad. So J.R. agreed to send out a new one. In the mean time I had the dealership sauder the wires together instead of using the plastic "t" clips provided for a better contact. It seemed to fix the problem but it only lasted for a few days before the check engine light came back. By that time we had sent back the new Power Card to J.R. That's when we(me and the dealership) decided to replace the spark plugs with the PT TURBO coper champion plus plugs. These are a colder degree spark plug and are able to hadle higher temperatures generated by the superchager. This seem to fix my problem. It lasted for about another month before the code came back. But this time it di NOT Misfire at all. I took it back to the dealership to have the code cleared, this time the O2 sensor said it was runing to lean. It needs to be richened up some how. The Power Card is suposed to map the air-to-fuel ratio so you don't have to worry about that type of stuff.
That's when I realized the dealer probably never disconected the battery when they installed the new spark plugs. I think I solved the problem by just disonecting the battery for a few minutes and then re-conecting it. It's been 2 months now and it works fine so far. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this similar problem. Makes me wonder why the supercharger has been reduced in price also?
Old 30 Nov 2005, 07:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

The price reduction may be due to lack of a market for it. Since the introduction of the '03 GT model, the previous year owners may have traded in for a GT, instead of upgrading a n/a to a supercharger (J.R, Whipple or Kenny Bell)[:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 30 Nov 2005, 08:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

YES, your right. I wish I had not invested so much into mine before the turbo model came out. I didn't want to start over again on a new car. Oh well.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 09:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanx for the info Wicked, I kicked around the idea of a Hahn turbo or a JR s/c for my 02 base 5 speed because I finished the job Chrysler started (except for the hp) & didn't want to start pouring mod money into another PT. I didn't find an installer in my rural neck of yhe woods so a GT is probley my best bet. Trouble is I don't want a moonroof or power seats so I'd have to find an 03 basic 5 speed GT. You have a truely rare Cruiser.
Old 01 Dec 2005, 12:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was lucky to find a Chrysler Dealership that has the "Speed Shop" experts. Aparently there are only 5 Speed Shop qualified dealers in the US. One of which is here in Dallas where I live. Mopar/Speed Shops are dealers that are certified to do aftermarket installations and performance modifications. Lucky for me I live close by too.