Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo does not turn!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2005, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo does not turn!

our car is a 2006 Turbo. I can't make a U-turn without backing up at least once! the turning radius is horrible. a regular Cruiser turns in 36.7 feet (factory specification), but it takes the Turbo 41.5!!!!
the first questions is why wider for the Turbo??
the more important questions is what can I do to 'fix' or improve the turning radius?? even if it takes machining or fabrication, I'd love to hear if any Cruiser owners have found a solution or can direct me toward one.
thanks, tomandmarj
Old 04 Dec 2005, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tom,

This has been discussed many times as one of the sore points of the PT Cruiser. The only reason I can think of why the turbo takes more room to turn is that it comes with 17 inch wheels and a little wider tires than the non-turbo. [:I] What can you do, mechanically, I wouldn't think you could do anything. We all got used to the wide turning radius and plan our turns accordingly.
Old 04 Dec 2005, 11:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

My other nickname for my GT (other than "Simply Red") is my "Little Red Bus". That's just the way it is. And I still love her.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 01:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom and Marj Green

our car is a 2006 Turbo. I can't make a U-turn without backing up at least once! the turning radius is horrible. a regular Cruiser turns in 36.7 feet (factory specification), but it takes the Turbo 41.5!!!!
the first questions is why wider for the Turbo??
the more important questions is what can I do to 'fix' or improve the turning radius?? even if it takes machining or fabrication, I'd love to hear if any Cruiser owners have found a solution or can direct me toward one.
thanks, tomandmarj
Yep. I have the same problem with my 02 PT. It's a diesing flaw. Can't do much about it.
Old 05 Dec 2005, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Tom,

This has been discussed many times as one of the sore points of the PT Cruiser. The only reason I can think of why the turbo takes more room to turn is that it comes with 17 inch wheels and a little wider tires than the non-turbo. [:I] What can you do, mechanically, I wouldn't think you could do anything. We all got used to the wide turning radius and plan our turns accordingly.
Yep...It's the wheels and tires plus the Ground Clearance.

Base w/15".......= 36.7....Ground Clearance 6.0
Limited w/16". = 37.9....Ground clearance 6.0
Rt 66 w/17".....= 37.9....Ground Clearance 6.0
GT w/17".........= 40.2....Ground Clearance 5.8

The off-set of the 7" wheels must also have something to do with it along with model specific stops.
Old 06 Dec 2005, 09:54 am
Young Cruiser

I first encountered this in our 1986 GLH-S Omni. They put large (for the day 15x6" rims shod with 205/50/15 tires on that turbo-intercooled grocery getter, and the only way they would work was to put limit stops on the steering. Even so, it had a 'friendly' rub on the transaxle case at full lock.....and the turning radius of the Queen Mary []

We still love the car though!
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 06 Dec 2005, 01:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Are the axles (and CV joints) turbo-specfic? I'd bet that a stronger joint is the reason for the larger turning radius. If not, Mopar may have made a steering stop to prevent too much angle in the joints to protect from breakage.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 08 Dec 2005, 04:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Here is a way to make a narrower U-Turn, by using the FWD version of the classic bootlegger turn.

at moderate speed in second gear
crank wheel sharply left, and quickly
yank up parking brake, locking the rear wheels,
car will skid around, straighten the steering.
release parking brake and punch the gas pedal...
there you are, one 'non-stop' u-turn.

(note that this is easiest to practice in a snow-filled parking lot)

(Tell the nice police officer that you are 'Practicing skid recovery.')
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 08 Dec 2005, 05:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'll get right on that, here in ARIZONA!!! You so funny. I can make a U-turn easy as long as there are three lanes going the other way, but, if there are only two lanes( forget 'bout it).
Old 14 Dec 2005, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptTurbo528

THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE WHY THE TURNING RADIUS IS SO BAD BUT I HEARD THAT THEY HAD TO STREACH THE FRONT END ON THE TURBO MODEL TO FIT THE INTERCOOLER ON THE FRONT...SO IT MAY ALSO BE BECAUSE IT MAY BE LONGER TO SOME EXTENT THAT ON THAT IS N/A....
goldline coil springs custom exhaust done by yours truly..k&n typhoon intake..tinted windows member of ptcruiserclub.org..adjusted wasetgate. E&G classic billet grille. 600w alpine amp,2-twelve alpine typeR subs,alpine headunit.xeon headlights,fog lights.apc carbon fiber taillights. royal purple oil. k&n oil filter,mopar bov conversion,BTG strut tower brace....