Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken Lugnut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2005, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broken Lugnut

I got a problem and need some advice. I was changing from my summer wheels and tires back to the stock wheels and tires for the winter and when putting the lugnuts back on one of them broke. I hadn't even really put any torque on it yet but it must of had a radial crack or something because it broke off leaving the base of the lugnut still on the stud. The question is what would be the best way to get the broken bit back off? I've already tried putting the wrench back on it (there is just enough for the wrench to bite) but there just isn't enough left there to break it loose. Help!!!!!
Old 06 Dec 2005, 09:47 am
Young Cruiser

I haven't heard of this happening to a stock steel lug nut before [:I]
If you have access to an impact wrench, try breaking it loose with that....if the car is driveable and you can't get it off then let your favorite local tire shop give it a shot.

Best of luck,
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 06 Dec 2005, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Take a cold chisel, and smack it in the direction to loosen. A couple whacks, and you should have it free enough to trun by hand, or with a crescent wrench, etc.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles