Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
harmonic vibration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2006, 09:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default harmonic vibration

[:I]on my 2004 turbo lite auto. I have picked up a very slight vibration at aroun 70 to 75 mph. It is from the front end as I just can feel it in the steering wheel. What is strange about it is that the vibration is not steady but cycles about every few second. I am going to have the two front wheels balanced today. i have the Michelin Hydro edge so I dont think that it is a tire problem also last July I had all four balanced on the Hunter 9700 Roadforce machine. I have also noticed that when making a hard left turn like backing out of the driveway there is a knocking/clicking sound coming from the left front. Sounds like a CV jount problem. Can a bad CV joint also cause the cycling type vibration also? any other Pt owners have or had this type of vibration in the past?
Old 05 Jan 2006, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

CV joints can cause a cyclic vibration. I'd have the balance checked first, then make sure the lug nuts are torqued properly. The main causes of any vibration are the rotating components. Get it balanced, torqued and check rotor trueness. This will uncover 90% of the problems. If it still is there, check tire concentricity, driveline components (CV joints and axles) and the components that hold the wheels in position. This would include the suspension and steering. That should cover anything that could cause this problem. Good Luck

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 05 Jan 2006, 01:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I plan on getting it balanced on friday. Even if this takes care of the vibration I still plan on taking it into the dealer for the cv knocking/clicking sound. I have 32,000 miles on my 2004 so it has the full warranty....yet.....thanks for you comments...
Old 05 Jan 2006, 01:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

I know you said you were getting a fresh balance but be sure to rotate also. If you still "feel" the same problem after a balance/rotate, then you would need to check the CV joints, brakes, axels, etc.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 02:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good Point....Thanks
Old 05 Jan 2006, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

let us know what happens, dont let the dealership push you around take them for a ride and show them .
Old 09 Jan 2006, 06:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

well I had the two front tires rebalanced on the hunter roadforce and still had the vibration...rotated the front to the back...still have the sound....time to take it into the dealer....i know that one of the cv joints is bad because of the clicking/thunping sound when making a sharp left turn. that may be the viberation also..or maybe a wheel bearing starting to go bad...o well I have 33345 mile on it so it has the full warranty yet...
Old 16 Jan 2006, 11:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well I took it into the dealer today and they said the right outer cv joint is bad. They do not repair them...they just order a new complete axle for that side and replace it....
Old 16 Jan 2006, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

Well I took it into the dealer today and they said the right outer cv joint is bad. They do not repair them...they just order a new complete axle for that side and replace it....
Thanks for the update, let us know how it went when you are done...

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 16 Jan 2006, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

did the same thing to my 03 turbo car didnt even have 10,000 miles and they were shot!!