Advertisements
PT needs service at 48k , please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2006, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Carchrism5
Default PT needs service at 48k , please help

My PT just recently passed 48,000 and i need to get a few things fixed
first off the suspension in the front under the engine makes a "creaking" sound mostly when turning, sounds like metal rubbing metal or something, and it has started to bother me alot, any ideas?
Second my brakes make a sqeeking/squealing sound when light pressure is applied to the brakes but if i press them more firmly it goes away, anyone know what that is (fyi, the brakes havent been replaced in 20,000-25,000 miles.) If something needs to be replaced i will prob go with drilled/ slotted rotors
Do you think it is about time to replace my shocks/ struts. Almost 50,000 miles on them and the roads here are a little less than smooth. And suggestions for what brands please.
Thanks for your help, if there is anything else you guys think should be checked or replaced please let me know (just an fyi, this engine was replaced a year ago and only has about 12,000 miles on it, but the rest of the car has 48,000 miles) thanks for the help
CarChrisM5@gmail.com
Old 26 Feb 2006, 11:05 pm
Young Cruiser

What a lot of others folks seem to say is plugs and wires; upgrade to Crain Wires and good plugs. Flush the transmission and coolant system.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 02:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carchrism5

Second my brakes make a sqeeking/squealing sound when light pressure is applied to the brakes but if i press them more firmly it goes away, anyone know what that is (fyi, the brakes havent been replaced in 20,000-25,000 miles.)
If this sqeuling goes away after the first couple of stops in the morning, it is probably just the surface rust/grunge being scrubbed off the rotors.

If, however, you get a squeal any time you lightly apply the brakes, it =could= be a pad-wear indicator or it =could= be the result of 'noisy pads'. The best bet is a physical inspection of the brakes by a mechanic you can trust.

Taken together with the 'suspension noise': Your best bet is to visit a mechanic that you can trust.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 27 Feb 2006, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Carchrism5

I just went to the mechanic shop that i used to do my muffler to check on servicing my car. Sure enough they had a 2001 PT Cruiser in there, on the lift with the front disassembled. He told me $120 for labor on replacing the front struts and $60 to do the rear shocks, I bought KYB's to put on. Also for my brake problem he said there was likely some dust in the pad and the pad needed to be replaced and rotor resurfaced, so i will likely go drilled/slotted and new pads, and for the suspension sound he said it could be the control arms, they were replacing them on the pt cruiser they had in there.
So i ask you guys:
what pads should i get?
should i do the rear rotors and pads at the same time?
Is $60 to replace the front pads and rotors a good price?
Is $120 for front pair and $60 for rear pair a good price for replacing shocks/struts?
And what else can you guys think of that i should do?
thanks
Old 05 Mar 2006, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

prices dont seem bad , i was use ceramic pads cuts brake dust way down , good luck!! keep us posted !![8)]
Old 06 Mar 2006, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carchrism5
what pads should i get?
should i do the rear rotors and pads at the same time?
Is $60 to replace the front pads and rotors a good price?
Is $120 for front pair and $60 for rear pair a good price for replacing shocks/struts?
And what else can you guys think of that i should do?
thanks
I suspect the rears are fine, but have them checked.
I assume those prices are just labor...
I found Raybestos ceramic pads and the best rotors NAPA sold to be an excellent combination..
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php
and at Rockauto:
http://ptenthusiasts.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53015
NAPA gives 7% off for AAA membership.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Mar 2006, 01:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Here is what I did and I love the results: Brake pads from Pep Boys fronts fully ceramics rears a blend (no more brake dust at all), drilled and slotted rotors (eBay) front and rear along with stainless steel brake lines from Russell, be sure and flush the brake lines, Tokico struts/shocks, rear anti-sway bar,and new Yokohama Avid 215X17 uni-directional tires on stock GT chromed wheels. I also added a front strut bar and use 42 psi on front tires with 38 psi on rears. Car now steers almost neutral as oposed to plowing pretty bad. Ride comfort is better by maybe 20% because of the tires and to some extent the struts and because I kept the stock springs.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats !! its gotta be a big difference !![8)]
Old 11 Apr 2006, 09:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like your happy with the out come and in the end
that's all that counts.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:05 am
Young Cruiser

While you're under there, take a look at the front control arm bushings. Mine are working their way out at 42,000 miles, and are being replaced today. Been hearing that it's something to keep an eye on.