PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New used Tires and wheels ALOT of noise why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2006, 07:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New used Tires and wheels ALOT of noise why?

I got some used 17x7 with some Wanli 215/40/17 tires on the car and everything seems fine it fits so I went for a drive.

I get no wheel wobbles at any speed just occationaly wheel pulls on uneven surfaces and this is normal I think for low profile tires and wide wheels

My problem is that whn my car go above 30mph the front tire get real noisy. It make a ROOMROOMROOM noise. I can hear it even if I have all the windows up. I can also feel a little vibration through my clutch pedal which is weird cause my wheels are perfectly wabble free! I can hear if ONLY from the front wheel. When I speed it up to like 80-90mph the sound subsides and all is fine. It get loud in some paving and less in other.

What is causing this problem do you think? is it the used tires that need to wear down to my cars alignment or is it these new used wheels and tires is pulling away and my wheel bearing is making that noise(HOPE NOT) any idea?
Old 29 Apr 2006, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a couple of reasons why tires make noise and the biggest is tread pattern. Noise is also very ellusive whereas what you think is coming from the front might be coming from all 4 wheels. "Cupping" from a bad alighment would also cause noise and not cause a wobble so inspect your tires very carefully for any uneven wear.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2006, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree (as usual) with Crewzin. When everyone used to have separate snow tires, it was well know that the snow tires would be noisier, due to the tread pattern.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 May 2006, 03:18 am
Cool Cruiser

I had some wanli 225/40/17 on all 4 wheels before and it was VERY VERY noisy at any speed

Now I have change to 224/45/17 Wanli in front and Yokotires 235/45/17 in the rear and the Wanli makes slightly less noise but same noise but the rear Yokos are quite.

I suspect the Wanlis are CRAP. I will switch them to the back tomorrow and see

I also notice that the ride got alot worst. I knwo handling is better but over all GOD damn I wish I never had them on.

I neverhad this much problem with other car having bigger wheels on but this PT is the worst
Old 04 May 2006, 07:19 am
Young Cruiser

As previosly posted the wifes 03 Mags are shedding the inside chrome, and apparently it is causing major loss of air. Warrantly is up, and the best Chrysler could do is grind down the cheap chrome but said that probably wont solve the problem. He said a few Cruisers came back with the same problem.

Would anyone know if there are any 17 inch steel rims that I could put on her Cruiser??????????

Old 04 May 2006, 02:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

I confirm that Wanli tires are crap.
I had wanli 225/40/18 on my chrome rings and there were too bad: noisy, too hard, bad handling under rainy conditions,they became brown, the only thing is there are cheaper...I replace with "Bridgestone Potenza" and I'm very satisfied with, smooth ride and silence.
Old 08 May 2006, 03:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

"under rainy conditions,they became brown"

I think this phrase may be a bit lost in translation.
brown as in what comes from the back-end of a horse?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Striker

I confirm that Wanli tires are crap.
I had wanli 225/40/18 on my chrome rings and there were too bad: noisy, too hard, bad handling under rainy conditions,they became brown, the only thing is there are cheaper...I replace with "Bridgestone Potenza" and I'm very satisfied with, smooth ride and silence.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 16 May 2006, 01:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fritz_t_coyote

Bad handling in rainy conditions AND the colour of the tire is brown
Old 18 May 2006, 01:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Striker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fritz_t_coyote

Bad handling in rainy conditions AND the colour of the tire is brown
Literally Brown? so maybe Wanli's really ARE made from merde?
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com