Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Poping on left turn.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2006, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Poping on left turn.

See other posts but didn't find the solution or problem. Have a popping noise on sharp left turnes or when I'm turning left and go over a bump or alot of gas turning left. Can feel it in the steering wheel and sounds like it's coming from the left side. Did take a look at the tie rod ends and they don't seem to be faulty but I've not dealt with these or this problem before. Anyone know what the problem is or might be.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 03:01 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

My first response would be CV joints. Check the boots to see if there's any rips or tears or holes in them...if anything gets up in there it's pretty much over for your joints.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 10:51 am
Young Cruiser

Check your upper strut mounts first, but since the 'popping' only occurs on hard left turns (which significantly loads the RIGHT side suspension) have a look at the lower right control arm bushings as well. It's not uncommon to have the rearmost bushing fail to the point that you can readily see the rubber being squeezed from the joint.

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 05 Jun 2006, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, it doesn't have to be at any speed just turn the wheel far enough and it'll pop, sometimes louder then others ofcourse. Now on the CV Joint? what other problems if failing will this cause or tell since it's been doing this for months now, I assume if this damages another part that part is going to be toast as well. I only know what I've changed or fixed when it comes to cars, lowering is all I've ever done in this area.
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 05 Jun 2006, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would say cv joints, they always make noise when they are shot
Old 29 Jun 2006, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Should I expect it to get worse with time. The loudness and feel three the s-wheel varies but shouldn't the popping start to multiply. I've delt with it for about 8k or more miles. Almost thought it was gone for a couple of days but wouldn't you know it would pop itself back when it pleases. Consistent that it does pop but sometimes louder than others and haven't narrowed down if angle, speed, or surface condition makes any difference.
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 05 Jul 2006, 09:11 am
Cool Cruiser

You might want to have the Rack & Pinion checked out. Mine gave me a pop or clunk noise thay was faint at first but grew worse over time. It finally got to where it did not want to turn left when first starting out. Took it to a dealer (while on vacation in FL) and they replaced the rack. Cost a bit over 700 bucks but it cured the problem.
Old 07 Jul 2006, 05:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to thegoldpt Send a message via Yahoo to thegoldpt

Could it be your CV joints?
Old 07 Jul 2006, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I found this -
03-006-04 09/15/2004 Powertrain:Axle Assembly:Axle Shaft -
Front Hub/Half Shaft Click/Pop Sound.

But I don't have the text of the Tech Service bulletin...
Check that the rubber boots are okay on the driveshafts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles