Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem with strut install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2006, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with strut install

Hey guys I need some help here. I had some transmission work done on my car at the dealer. The trans was pulled and some internal parts were changed. I got the car back and changed the struts almost immediately. Driving the car today I hear a loud bang and the car lurches forward and I've got no forward motion. Pissed, I called the dealer and they tow it back to evaluate. I get a call and they ask about the new struts. If I understand correctly the guy's telling me that must have partially pulled out the axle when I was changing the struts and then the axle came out completely (where it connects to the trans. Could I have done this? It's just three bolts on top and two big bolts on the bottom and it slides out. It's not the first time I've taken the struts out. I just don't see how I could have done anything to the axle.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 12:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hifiman

Hey guys I need some help here. I had some transmission work done on my car at the dealer. The trans was pulled and some internal parts were changed. I got the car back and changed the struts almost immediately. Driving the car today I hear a loud bang and the car lurches forward and I've got no forward motion. Pissed, I called the dealer and they tow it back to evaluate. I get a call and they ask about the new struts. If I understand correctly the guy's telling me that must have partially pulled out the axle when I was changing the struts and then the axle came out completely (where it connects to the trans. Could I have done this? It's just three bolts on top and two big bolts on the bottom and it slides out. It's not the first time I've taken the struts out. I just don't see how I could have done anything to the axle.
I agree with you. I don’t think you did anything to cause the half-shaft to come out of the transmission that requires a lot more work than just removing the strut. Sounds to me like they didn’t torque the half-shaft bolt down, and they worked themselves loose. I have yet to pull the struts on the PT Cruiser, but I've done many suspensions, especially lately. I don’t think it’s your fault at all. Hope they don’t make you pay extra, since you did change something before their problem showed up. Good luck man

Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 10 Aug 2006, 12:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, the dealer was really cool. I didnt' get charged for the tow or the fix. I'm grateful, but still disagree with their claim that I must have pulled it partially out.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

glad you didnt get charged , hopefully all stays well with the car now !![8)]
Old 10 Aug 2006, 05:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hifiman

No, the dealer was really cool. I didnt' get charged for the tow or the fix. I'm grateful, but still disagree with their claim that I must have pulled it partially out.
Once I install my suspension on my car, I will know for sure about what they are claiming, but I'm with you - I dont think thats possible just by swaping struts. Good to hear they didnt stick you with the tow and repair bill!

By the way, what kind of struts did you install? I am trying to decide what I want to go with my Goldline Slammer springs I'll be getting shortly (2.75in front drop, 3.25in rear drop). I was thinking of just the KYB gas-adjust ones, but if the Tokicos are a lot better, I'll just go with those for an extra $50 or so.

Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 10 Aug 2006, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put on the Tokico's. Best price for me was AJUSA.com. I love these shocks. My car rides better in every possible way.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 05:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

I put on Tokicos and they are so much better than stock in every way!
Got mine on ebay for around $200 delivered to my door.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.