PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new tires, but still a slight vibration.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2007, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default new tires, but still a slight vibration.

just had brand new spankin' 215-50-17s tires put on my gt. the tire installer had a hell of time getting them mounted on the rims, as the rims came with 205s. i was surprised he had so much trouble with these slightly larger tires.

anyway, even with these new, spun balanced tires, my steering wheel still vibrates a bit at 80 mph. could this be some sort of steering stablizer problem? is this a normal deal with pts at this rate of speed?
Old 15 Mar 2007, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not normal. I had my GT well over a 100 mph and it was smooth sailing.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 16 Mar 2007, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most likely the balancing.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Mar 2007, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

probably still one of the tires with the balancing
Old 16 Mar 2007, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Driving over 80?? Maybe the shaking is something telling you that you are going to fast??? [^]
Old 17 Mar 2007, 12:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan

Driving over 80?? Maybe the shaking is something telling you that you are going to fast??? [^]
[8)] at 80, you're just keeping up with the flow of freeway traffic in california. mean green - on the otherhand - may be driving on the autobahn. are you guys sure it's a balancing problem? i hope it's not a suspension or steering component,as the car only has 28,000 miles. it tracks perfectly straight, so i know it's not a alignment deal. i'll rotate the tires and see if there's any difference.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

good luck keep us posted
Old 17 Mar 2007, 04:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Look for a shop that has a Hunter Roade Force machine and have them balanced....
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hand torque the lug nuts to 100 Ft. Lb. and call me in the morning...

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 19 Mar 2007, 02:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pppt03turbo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan

[8)] at 80, you're just keeping up with the flow of freeway traffic in california. mean green - on the otherhand - may be driving on the autobahn. are you guys sure it's a balancing problem? i hope it's not a suspension or steering component,as the car only has 28,000 miles. it tracks perfectly straight, so i know it's not a alignment deal. i'll rotate the tires and see if there's any difference.
Yeah, gotta love Cali freeways. Do the speed limit and get run over. Where I live I'm out in the country so I can open my cars a bit on the country highways. I have come across the problem of a tire being out of round before and could not be properly balanced causing a slight shimmy. Rotate your tires and see what happens. Good luck.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic