Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What is the best springs for lowering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2007, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What is the best springs for lowering?

I am a new owner of a 03 GT.First thing I want to do is lower 1.5 " front and 2" rear. Whats your opinion on the best springs? Ride comfort counts.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Eibach Pro Kit does almost exactly what you want. 1.6 front, 2.0 in the rear. It lowers the PT and takes out the rake. That's what I used. If your really worried about the ride comfort, you have to go the whole way with new struts and shocks that were designed for lowered cars. If you are prepared to put out the money for the whole thing, try just lowering it and see how the ride is, then if you think it's too harsh, get the struts ans shocks and complete the job. A lot depends on where you live. I'm in Florida and most of the roads are pretty good (no harsh winters with salt on the roads) so I haven't put the shocks or struts on. Also, there's more rubber on the sidewalls to absorb bumps with 16" wheels. When I upgraded to the GT's 17" rims with a lower sidewall I did notice more of the road bumps.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just ordered a set of "canuck motorsports" springs . Not too sure how they will ride,I should have them tomorrow and hopefully have them on before I go back to work on wednesday. I'll let you know how they ride after they are on. they are pretty cheap,I payed 172 canadian shipped to my door.
CREWZIN,how long have you been running the stock shocks and struts with your lowering spring? I am going that way for now but i just don't want to blow my struts up while it is still under warranty.
Old 01 Apr 2007, 10:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lowering was the first mod I did back in early 2001 and I still have the same struts and shocks on. Just passing 86K
Old 02 Apr 2007, 03:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

CREWZIN is correct about the Eibachs. I've had them on two PT's and my SRT-4. They are the closest to the stock spring rate.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Apr 2007, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

CREWZIN is correct about the Eibachs. I've had them on two PT's and my SRT-4. They are the closest to the stock spring rate.
Excellent,hopefully mone will hold up as well as yours have.
Old 02 Apr 2007, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is an alignment kit needed for the front end drop? I am leaning towards not changing shocks/struts at thist time.
Old 03 Apr 2007, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rush123ed

Is an alignment kit needed for the front end drop? I am leaning towards not changing shocks/struts at thist time.
I never aligned mine for a couple years after I lowered it, BUT, I also rotated the wheels at every other oil change (6,000 miles) so if it was wearing uneven I never noticed it. When I finally bought the front end kit, the alignment was off, but not by too much.
Old 03 Apr 2007, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rush123ed

I never aligned mine for a couple years after I lowered it, BUT, I also rotated the wheels at every other oil change (6,000 miles) so if it was wearing uneven I never noticed it. When I finally bought the front end kit, the alignment was off, but not by too much.
I'm going down 1.5 in the front and 1.75 in the rear so it shouldn't be too bad(hopefully). Got my springs yesterday and hopefully I'll get them on this week.It snowed for the last 2 days so I won't be doing them in the driveway,maybe at work in the shop later this week. I'llpost before and after pics when I am done.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: What is the best springs for lowering?

can i jump in the ring for a moment? I am also wanting lower mine but the eibach springs are out of my budget. any pros/cons to the lesser makes? Dropzone in particular. their also 1.5/2.

I really want to pick road reflectors. i found a set that go 2.5/4 but i dont know if the drop wold require too much suspension expense.

Thoughts?