PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
For those that have lowered your cruiser....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2003, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default For those that have lowered your cruiser....

Alright you guys and gals,

For those of you that have lowered your cruiser. Just was wondering if you get 17's or 18's on the cruiser and lower it with springs 2 inches in back and 1.5 inches in front if you have problems scraping over driveways or dips and such. I don't want this hassle and was just wondering for when I purchase a cruiser in the very near future. Thanks and I love this forum. Good people and good advice.

Also if I decide to get 17s or 18s, how much backspacing should I get for the rim to fit nicely under the wheelwell and not stick out? I basically want it flush with the body from the rear view or slightly under the wheelwell. Thanks again,

Raven [8)]
Old 13 Jun 2003, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Go with 18s period. It just looks right. A 19 would be even better, but it's so rare and realtively more $$$.

Eibachs work well with driveways.

It's not as common, but a 35mm backspacing on a 18x7.5 rim causes no rubbing and "widetracks" the car perfectly. [?]

For tires, 235/40/18 is nice. It leaves just a tad of rubber extending beyond the rim. One other note about tires, go for a quite tread design like Falken or Yokahama model. I've ridden in cars with fashionable footware and the drone just gets to ya...
Old 13 Jun 2003, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Raven,

When you go to a bigger wheel and tire, almost everyone sticks to the Plus 1 or Plus 2 factor. By doing this the circumference of the wheel stays the same as the original 16 inch wheel and tire. This way there's no problem with the odometer and speedometer. So, when asking if lowering the PT scrapes bottom, it really doesn't matter which wheel/tire combination someone has, just which springs they went to and how much of a drop it gives the PT. I have the Eibach Pro Kit and scrape the black rubber chin spoiler all the time but haven't hit the actual body colored fascia yet.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jun 2003, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys,

I think I might try to get the 18's when I get the cruiser and just put them on my loan. I was debating between the 17s or 18s but it looks like you guys helped me figure that out. Any pictures of PT's with 18's around the net???

Raven [8)]
Old 27 Jun 2003, 11:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ZZRain

I have 18" wheels on one of our Cruisers, looks great and as long as you pay attention to where you are going you will not scrape. Silver and Prowler Orange one ....... [8D]
Old 28 Jun 2003, 12:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Careful, depending on the wheel, your pulling more weight.
Try a light weight 18.
I went with 17x8's, but with tires they are heavy.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 28 Jun 2003, 10:11 am
Cool Cruiser

if ur only going to be lowering ur pt i would really go with 18's before i put adjustable suspenion on my pt i had 18s and i was lowered 2.5 inches all around but after i got my 20s my tires were rubbing when i pulled in driveways and stuff like that so, thats when i knew i had to get something that lifted my pt i wasnt going to put 18s back on, but even 19s would look sweet just dont go any lower then 18's, THE BIGGER THE BETTER

\"You All Laugh Because I\'M Different, I Laugh Because YOU\'RE All The Same!\"
Old 01 Jul 2003, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PT CHIX

just dont go any lower then 18's, THE BIGGER THE BETTER
Gotta disagree, PT Chix, I think my lowered PT with the stock 15" wheels looks mighty nice...

Old 03 Jul 2003, 08:18 pm
Young Cruiser

I have progressive 2 inch drop springs with my factory 17's on my DC2. Good clearance.
Old 05 Jul 2003, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

IMHO if you use bags you solve the problem. Kits usually come with 2" drop, but will provide a 2" spacer if U want. Then you can just about tailor it to what U want........

L.