Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Supension question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2007, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Supension question

At some point i'm considering an air suspension but want some input on the subject. my PT is a daily driver but i only go about 5-6 miles one way to work on paved roads. (i know, sux for me ) Anyone running on air? Pros/Cons?
Old 12 Apr 2007, 11:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Air Supension question

I have Air Ride. I love it!! I first put in on because I had my car lowered with Gold Lines and have a body kit. I kept having trouble with driveways, speed bumps and so forth. Now I just hit a button and they are no longer a problem. I also like the looks of my car dropped at shows.
Bruce
PS Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 12 Apr 2007, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

VERY....VERY...NICE. I agree the instant adjustment would be a great feature. what about "ride bounce"? hydros are stiff and i thought air was too bouncy, am i wrong?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Air Supension question

Hey Bruent...love your car! hey i am a light nut. What are those lights shinning up onto the wheel area? Are they a form of LED? Mind if I ask where you got them and what they are called?

Thanks
DaShado in Canada
email bluecaleboes@davincibb.net
Old 13 Apr 2007, 11:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: Air Supension question

DaShado, They are wheel well lights. They come with a controller. What I did was put raido jacks inside of the car, by the back door and under the dash. I put the female inside the car and the male to the wire out side of the car. I the cut some 2" wide boards on a 45 degree angle and mounted the lights. The control box is inside of the car. I just plug the lights in and set the flash to where I want it and Bam!!! Below is where I got the lights. You won't beat the price for wheel well lights anywhere. They are the blue for $49.00!!

http://ledunderbody.com/index.asp?Pa...ATS&Category=7

Below is a video, so you can see how they look while working. The video takes awhile to load on a fast computer. Go down the page untill you see the car lit up and it says video. Hope it works for you. I don't know how to compress the video or I would.
Bruce
http://www.sequoiaptcruiserclub.com/2007eventphotos.htm
Old 14 Apr 2007, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Air Supension question

that car looks awesome !!
Old 14 Apr 2007, 07:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: Air Supension question

t o o o o c o o o o l ! !
Old 22 Apr 2007, 02:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am also interested in air suspension. I just bought my 2006 Convertible, so I donít know if I will do anything that dramatic before my warranty is up, but I'd like to hear some options. I had Goldline Slammers on my 2001 Limited, loved them to death, but I donít know if I want to go that same route on the convertible. I am afraid it might be stiffer than it was on the 2001, just because of the difference in body style.

bruent - When the air is shut off, does your car just sit on the bump stops? Are your bump stops trimmed at all? Where did you end up installing the tank, compressor, etc? I would hope I could install the tank and compressor where the spare tire is normally? I donít want to kill what little trunk space I have now. Have you had any issues with the air bags tearing/leaking etc? If I remember right, a conversion like this normally runs around $2000 for everything? Do you happen to know how often the air struts and airbags should be replaced?

Thanks,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey MATT, with the Slammers, did you have do replace your shocks and have any alignment issues? (assuming they were the 2.75/4's)
Old 24 Apr 2007, 01:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravix View Post
hey MATT, with the Slammers, did you have do replace your shocks and have any alignment issues? (assuming they were the 2.75/4's)
My Goldline's were the 2.75 F / 3.25 R drop. Not sure where you are finding the 4" drop for the rear, that would look pretty sweet though.

My car had 69,000 miles on it when I installed the Goldlines, and the suspension was tired as it was, so I replaced everything. I went with Tokico HP's. I thought the ride was very nice. A LOT stiffer than stock, but not unbearable unless you constantly drive crappy roads.

I bought the alignment kit from Goldline, but never installed it because the alignment seemed fine to me. I traded my car at 73,000 miles, so I didn't even get a chance to see if the tires were wearing smoothly or not.

I paid about $475 for all the parts together, Tokicos, Goldlines, and the alignment kit. Not a bad price for a really aggressive looking setup. If you end up buying the Goldlines and want an alignment kit, I'll gladly sell mine, brand new in the boxes.

Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre