PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wanted- Stock Rear Springs for an 05 GT Convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2007, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wanted- Stock Rear Springs for an 05 GT Convertible

Hi,

I had my rear springs heated to lower the rear ride heigth on my 05 GT convertible and as usual wish I had left it well enough alone. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a source for stock rear springs. It worked out well until you put 4 people in the car and now it bottoms out. The stock spring isn't stiff enough to compensate for the 1" reduced height. The car looked a ton better but that is not as important as having a functional 4 seater. I'm not interested in lowering the whole car as the front end allready hits the parking barriers.

Your help appreciated,

Chuck
Old 17 Apr 2007, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Wanted- Stock Rear Springs for an 05 GT Convertible

Goldline makes a leveling kit for the PT. Basically shorter rear springs.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Chuck,

Just a thought. Did you remember to cut the bump stops after you lowered the spring height. It's not talked about alot when someone lowers the ride height but one bump should be cut off at the tip of the stops to compensate for the lowered height. That's the part that hits first and should lessen the "hit' when you go over larger bumps.

Old 18 Apr 2007, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. I did not cut the bump stop. I will give this a try.

Chuck
Old 18 Apr 2007, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds stupid, but don't forget there's one bump stop on either side next to each spring.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ha Cruzin,

I zipped home at lunch and removed the bump pads from the Crusier after reading your post. With the bumpers out of the car I cut one donut of the underside of each bumper and reinstalled them in the housing. Took me all of ten minutes. This should really help as I it will give me additional suspension travel before the rear runs into the stop. With a load in the car and on tight turns the rear suspension was hanging up on these bump pads which seemed to upset the handling and ride of the car. I still like the look of the Cruiser with the front stock height and the rear 1" lower. If this solves the problem I will not need to buy stiffer rear springs or return the car to it's previous ride height. I really appreciate the information. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself!

Thanks again,

Chuck
Old 18 Apr 2007, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You learn things from reading and asking questions. When I bought my cruiser back in 2000, there was no/very little after market. NOPI was the only one carrying springs (Eibach) and I hated the way there was 6 inches of space in the wheel wells. I had the Eibach's put on and there was nobody to ask and no forums at the time so I had the bump stops in for a couple years before I learned they were to be cut. The roads aren't too bad here in Florida because the weather is mild so I wasn't bottoming out that much. Hope it helps you out with the bump stops cut.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

post some pics !!