PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
20'' wheels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2007, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to distortedlife
Smile Help with wheel/suspension choice

I'm a bit confused I want 19'' or 20'' rims and tires for my car.

So I ask you guys this:

What are your thoughts on 20'' wheels and tires and a air ride suspension?

Also what are your thoughts on the TEIN adjustable coilovers with their EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)?

I heard that you can adjust the suspension from inside the car with this unit!!!!

I'd like the versatility of an air ride suspension, because I also plan on ground effects, but I want a firm ride, to corner and whatnot.

I know you must think I'm crazy or something, but you guys know your stuff, so any advice would be much appreciated.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Last edited by distortedlife; 16 May 2007 at 07:47 pm. Reason: Maybe better response
Old 17 May 2007, 01:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Help with wheel/suspension choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlife View Post
I'm a bit confused I want 19'' or 20'' rims and tires for my car.

So I ask you guys this:

What are your thoughts on 20'' wheels and tires and a air ride suspension?

Also what are your thoughts on the TEIN adjustable coilovers with their EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller)?

I heard that you can adjust the suspension from inside the car with this unit!!!!

I'd like the versatility of an air ride suspension, because I also plan on ground effects, but I want a firm ride, to corner and whatnot.

I know you must think I'm crazy or something, but you guys know your stuff, so any advice would be much appreciated.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.
20" wheels... On a PT?
Thats going to bring your sidewall height (aspect ratio) Way Down.
That means no sidewall flex to speak of, which means the ride is going to be rough. Tires and rims will be vulnerable to pothole damage, especially if the roads in Allentown are still as bad as they were the last time I was there.

The dubs also have the disadvantage of being a lot heavier then a less extreme combination: Unsprung weight will have a negative impact on both ride and handling.

When it comes to aspect ratios: The Porsche Cayman S, which handles better then any PT ever will, uses 18" wheels with 40 series rubber. (235/40YR-18 front and 265/40YR-18 rear)

But if you are looking for that 'shiney wheels with a thin coat of rubber on the rim' look, and you won't ever try to drive too fast on anything other then glass-smooth pavement, go for it.

AIR RIDE:
A lot of folks love the Bags. They can do things nothing else can do.
Including making up for loseing 'sidewall flex' as a bump absorber.

My buddy's old Chevy used bags so he could run em nice and easy on the street, but set them up Very Differently at the drag strip.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 18 May 2007, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to distortedlife
Post Re: Help with wheel/suspension choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz_t_coyote View Post
20" wheels... On a PT?
Thats going to bring your sidewall height (aspect ratio) Way Down.
That means no sidewall flex to speak of, which means the ride is going to be rough. Tires and rims will be vulnerable to pothole damage, especially if the roads in Allentown are still as bad as they were the last time I was there.

The dubs also have the disadvantage of being a lot heavier then a less extreme combination: Unsprung weight will have a negative impact on both ride and handling.

When it comes to aspect ratios: The Porsche Cayman S, which handles better then any PT ever will, uses 18" wheels with 40 series rubber. (235/40YR-18 front and 265/40YR-18 rear)

But if you are looking for that 'shiney wheels with a thin coat of rubber on the rim' look, and you won't ever try to drive too fast on anything other then glass-smooth pavement, go for it.

AIR RIDE:
A lot of folks love the Bags. They can do things nothing else can do.
Including making up for loseing 'sidewall flex' as a bump absorber.

My buddy's old Chevy used bags so he could run em nice and easy on the street, but set them up Very Differently at the drag strip.
It was just a thought on the 20'' wheels and tires, so maybe 19'' light racing wheels? I'd even go for 18''s.

I know I'm very hard to please, I just want a setup that is like nothing else, and in no way I want a "Paul Wall-26 inch-b*tch-slapping pimp mobile, I want something that looks amazing but handles real good as well.

I was thinking of 20''s as an extreme. I would like an air ride, but the rear of my car would be filled with 2 amps and a subwoofer enclosure that houses 2 12'' subs by the end of the year, so I have no idea where'd I put the compressor bottle(s).

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 27 May 2007, 03:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 20'' wheels?

I've got an 2005 turbo convertible with 20" rims. They look absolutely fantastic and the compliments are almost constant however the ride is just terrible. I actually drive my pos $500 '95 minivan over my $19k pt (with it's $2k rims) 90% of the time because of this.

I am no mechanic but am very worried that the bumpiness of the ride might actually be damaging the car somehow. Is this possible or should I quit worrying?