Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wanna Upgrade those stock tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2007, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wanna Upgrade those stock tires?

I just went through this ordeal last week as my stock GY Eagle RS-A's didn't make it to 30 K miles (worn tie rod and not the first owner). I came across a site that offers a tire size calculator.
Ejelta.com: Tire Size Calculator. Just type in your current size and it will give you a chart of optional sizes, including color coding to indicate best options.

I wanted to go a bit wider than 205/50R-17 with the tire but balked at the service advisors lecture on the "ills" of bigger tires. It was the only shop in my area that could get me Kumho ECSTA ASX's, in the stock size, so I settled. Gotta say though these tires are as awesome as the reviews I have read and I highly recommend them. They do everything better- ride, noise, bumps, curves...you name it.

The chart at the URL above will show that I probably could have gone up to 215's or 225's and not affected the peripherals too much. I could have even ended up with more sidewall to handle the nasty potholes around here.

Would appreciate any feedback for future reference.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 12:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Wanna Upgrade those stock tires?

One thing I've learned is that the tire-changing monkeys at the chain tire stores are parrots. That is - they repeat what they hear and don't know what they're talking about.

I like that chart, but I don't understand why they have 255's on a 17" tire shaded in green, even when there's a greater than 2% differenential.
Old 01 Oct 2007, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wanna Upgrade those stock tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff V View Post
One thing I've learned is that the tire-changing monkeys at the chain tire stores are parrots. That is - they repeat what they hear and don't know what they're talking about.
Agree with you. I was told my PT needed high performance tires, because that's what the stockers were - I said, yeah, I'm going to do sustained speeds of 118 mph!.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Oct 2007, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Wanna Upgrade those stock tires?

If you go with 18 inch wheels you can run a 225 40 18 no problem it also makes the car handle better