PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire myths or NOT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2007, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to distortedlife
Default Tire myths or NOT?

I just thought of this yesterday, while getting out of the gym and low and behold in the parking lot I see my PT with a flat, I'm all tired from the weights and NOW I gotta jack the car, get my hands dirty and grimy, etc.

Getting to the point here, my father always told me (may he rest in peace) to tighten up the lug nuts a bit while the car was jacked up and then fully tighten when the car was off the jack, as additional advice he told me that after tightening the wheel on the ground to put my foot on every lug nut and push down on them for about have a turn to make sure the wheel is properly tightened.

My question is is this really necessary, will this damage the lug nut or custom wheels?

I bought my car from the dealer and I could easily untighten the lug nuts and this made me a bit uneasy, since I've heard horror stories of wheels coming off at highway speeds...

Thanks for any info.
Old 30 May 2007, 11:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Tire myths or NOT?

The proper way to tighten the lug nuts is to work around the wheel, skipping one lug nut as you start to tighten them down. That is, do not tighten one lug nut and then one right next to it - always skip one as you work around the wheel. Partially only tighten #1, #3, #5, #2, #4 (starting with any random lug nut of course, they aren't really numbered!) and then repeat. If you tighten one completely while the others are still all loose you run the risk of improperly mounting the wheel, which can lead to vibrations and potentially warped rotors (especially if you severely over tighten). And definitely do the initial round with the wheel off the ground so it seats correctly. Then lower the car and finish tightening, using the same skip a number sequence as before. Ideally you should use a torque wrench to avoid overtightening - the proper torque spec for a PT Cruiser is 100ft-lbs.

Having said that, we've all experienced a situation where we could not get the darn lug nuts off - they wouldn't budge no matter how hard we pulled, hit, jumped on 'em, etc. That's a bad thing. A very bad thing. Properly tightened to 100ft-lbs they are very easy to remove. In fact, back when I first started to this the "correct" way I was shocked at how easy they came off!!! I was so used to overtightened lug nuts, even when I had hand installed them myself, that "proper" just seemed wrong to me!! Heck, the torque speck on my Miata is only 85ft-lbs!!!

Hope that helps.
Old 31 May 2007, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

no reason to tighten like crazy 100ft-lbs is all you need
Old 31 May 2007, 07:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

The reason I will buy my tires from Discount tires is they are the only ones that I ever saw using a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft lbs!
Old 01 Jun 2007, 11:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I once got a set of tires for my old Chevy 4x4 pickup at a place that specialized in truck tires (hey, they were willing to special order the all-terrain tires that I wanted, and had the heavy duty gear it took to mount and balance them properly.) Trouble was they must have had the air wrench set to 'Cement Mixer' or 'Tank Treads'... I found that out when I went to rotate them. Ended up needing a Large Pipe to get them loose.
(and one trip to Sears for a replacement socket. Love that Guarantee.)
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com