Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Age old question (again) max tire size stock wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2003, 12:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Age old question (again) max tire size stock wheel

After three years and 40+K miles it going to be time to replace the stock goodyears on my PT LE. I line the stock chrome 16" wheels but I am a great fan of BIGGER TIRES. So, for those of you who have actually done it... what is the max tire size that will work on the stock rims on a non-lowered PT? I was thinking of Sumitomo 225/50 16".

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks
Old 27 Jun 2003, 03:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

And, for the GT crowd, same question for the stock 17s.

\'03 Silver Turbo, 5-speed, tinted front windows, gutted air box, K&N Filter, weather strip removed, second horn... Cool mods coming soon.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had Sumitomo HTR 225/50-16's put on stock chrome rims last night.
They look, feel, and ride 1000% better than the goodyears.

As for sizes 225 in the front are max from what I can see and 245 in the rear. There is a real clearance issue due to the offset of the stock wheel. take a look at NTB.com for a nice comparison of different sizes.

G (Nitro) 01 LE with color shifting flames (painted not stickers )
and a few other items added, but to many to list.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BobM_CT

After three years and 40+K miles it going to be time to replace the stock goodyears on my PT LE. I line the stock chrome 16" wheels but I am a great fan of BIGGER TIRES. So, for those of you who have actually done it... what is the max tire size that will work on the stock rims on a non-lowered PT? I was thinking of Sumitomo 225/50 16".

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks
Old 01 Oct 2003, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

225/50-16 tires are larger than chrysler recommneds. Any safety, supension wear or speedometer issues with these tires?
Old 01 Oct 2003, 02:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TNT-PT

And, for the GT crowd, same question for the stock 17s.

For the GT it's 215/50/17, Jody has a pic of those mounted on stock GT wheels here
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=2227

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 08 Oct 2003, 11:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

[?]BobM_CT
I decided I wanted larger tires than the Cruiser came with.
I realized the best way to make the tires look larger is to use smaller wheels.
I ordered some 15" smoothies from Moss motors and then bought my tires to match the "HOT ROD" look I wanted. The front tires need to have the same circumference as the manufacturers tires. So the fronts are 205/60r15's but the back tires are 235/60r15's. Sets it up a little more in the rear.
I could even tell it had a little more rake, when I got in the car it seemed like the seat was elevated in the back.

The ride is smoother also. I guess its because the sidewall is taller allowing more absorbtion of the smaller bumps in the pavement.
Just make sure when you do order tires that you get them wide enough to make it not look skinny compared to the tall height.
But not too wide to fit under the fender wells.
Good luck and keep us posted...Pics' and all.

nice shine, huh.

Old 10 Nov 2003, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cruisergeo

I decided I wanted larger tires than the Cruiser came with.
I realized the best way to make the tires look larger is to use smaller wheels.
I ordered some 15" smoothies from Moss motors and then bought my tires to match the "HOT ROD" look I wanted. The front tires need to have the same circumference as the manufacturers tires. So the fronts are 205/60r15's but the back tires are 235/60r15's. Sets it up a little more in the rear......
just curious.....any problems with this setup yet? I believe you have a LE with ABS/traction control and the above combination represents about a 5% difference in front/rear diameter relative to a recommended 3% cutoff for the ABS system to work right. (my guess is the 3% limit is being conservative)
Old 11 Nov 2003, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to FlowRW

The largest recommended tire for the stock rim is in fact 225 50 16. I have had my Sumitoma HRT's for about 5 months now. What fantastic riding tires. I had no idea the orginal Goodyears were the crap they were until I had these put on. The neat thing about these HRT's, they have a recessed bead that your rim rides in and it protects the rim should you scuff up against a curb.

Rick & Susie Flow
Charlotte NC

ZZ Taupe\'s online photo album
http://www.carolinaptcruisers.com/ZZTaupe.htm</b>
Old 21 Nov 2003, 02:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cruisergeo, Really like that look alot! Very "Old School" haha