PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Worn tie rod and bad tires- Anybody else?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2007, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Worn tie rod and bad tires- Anybody else?

I had a worn tie rod recently replaced under warranty after a second attempt to ID a steering issue in which I had to hold the wheel about 5-10 degrees to the left while driving straight. Also really poor handling. First dealer blamed it on bad bearings and the need for an alignment. After the first repair the problem seemed a bit better but got progressively worse until I took it in again at a different dealership. The second dealer said is was a worn tie rod, and BTW- you need a new set of tires. A quick search on the affects of a worn tie rod mentioned "feathering" (which is exactly the description the service advisor gave) and "rapid tire wear". I have since replaced the tires.

I am wondering if others have had this issue and tried to seek any recourse with a dealer or with Chrysler due to the contributing factor of a worn factory-installed part that was replaced under warranty. I received a call from a cust service rep who was on "autoplay" with "Chrysler does not warranty tires..." Duh, I know this but think the worn part definitely played a part in the premature wearng of the OEM Goodyears.

It'll be hard but try to put your general disdain aside for the Goodyears for a minute and give some concrete input as I am out over $600 for the new tires.

My car is an 05 GT convertible.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Worn tie rod and bad tires- Anybody else?

JC,

The problem is that anything could have happened "on the road" that hurt/bent/broke the front suspension parts. A pot hole, high curb hit, really rough road or even running over a large stone or object. It isn't a problem a whole lot of PTs are seeing, so something happened to your PT. If you have low mileage, then whatever happened could have been at the factory, delivery process (dropped off the carrier ) or at the dealer where you got it. But proving that would be extremely hard.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Worn tie rod and bad tires- Anybody else?

that sucks !!