Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Full size spare storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2007, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Full size spare storage

Anybody tried to modify the compact spare storage rack to allow carrying a full size spare?
Old 01 Sep 2007, 11:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Full size spare storage

You want to add even more weight to get worse mpg?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Sep 2007, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i carry a full size spare in the trunk just in case
Old 02 Sep 2007, 09:54 am
Regular Cruiser

I carry a AAA card just in case.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 02 Sep 2007, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup, a handy-dandy AAA card and a cell phone, that's all you need!

And since I've had two flats in my Cruiser, using the mini-spare tire both times, I can tell you from experience that the thing works fine. Don't drive it over 50 mph, that's about the only restriction.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 12:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would like to fit a full size spare as well, My wifes Suzuki SX4 got a flat,the new tyre had to come from over 700km's away,meanwhile she was expected to do 50mph[80km/hr] on the open highway,no way she said ,borrowed her parents car until fixed.It handled terrible on the space saver. I want to head off this problem,my Australian 2006 PT Cruiser LTD has the spare under the back on a chain, I didn't think there would be a problem with what-ever size you tried to fit there.Our RACQ is the same as your AAA I guess,they are great but you would be on the side for a few hours because of the distance,I woudn't fancy doing 80kph[50mph] in our 110kph[about 69mph] with Triple Road Trains flying past you.Cappy5 of Queensland,Australia
Old 22 Sep 2007, 01:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy5 View Post
I would like to fit a full size spare as well, My wifes Suzuki SX4 got a flat,the new tyre had to come from over 700km's away,meanwhile she was expected to do 50mph[80km/hr] on the open highway,no way she said ,borrowed her parents car until fixed.It handled terrible on the space saver. I want to head off this problem,my Australian 2006 PT Cruiser LTD has the spare under the back on a chain, I didn't think there would be a problem with what-ever size you tried to fit there.Our RACQ is the same as your AAA I guess,they are great but you would be on the side for a few hours because of the distance,I woudn't fancy doing 80kph[50mph] in our 110kph[about 69mph] with Triple Road Trains flying past you.Cappy5 of Queensland,Australia
In the six years I've been in the PT scene I've not heard of anyone mounting a full size spare underneath. I have heard of people carrying one in the back of the car. You could keep a used tire mounted on a rim at your home and use it if you had a flat and had to use the little doughnut spare.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 22 Sep 2007, 03:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
In the six years I've been in the PT scene I've not heard of anyone mounting a full size spare underneath. I have heard of people carrying one in the back of the car. You could keep a used tire mounted on a rim at your home and use it if you had a flat and had to use the little doughnut spare.
Hi Mean Green,the full size spare was first mentioned to me by the salesman who sold me the car, I haven't got as far as measuring it up. I have a subwoofer in the boot so that takes care of that area.My work takes me 250km's from home so I need to carry it on board,over half of that is 110kph speed zone so it would be real painfull doing only 80kph.I'll just have to see what I can fit.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 06:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have guests at the house for a week so I can't go out and do any measuring. Thinking about the spare tire...... The car doesn't lean when the spares on, so the height of the tire is the same as a regular tire. It's the 3-4 inch width wheel and smaller width tire that makes it handle badly and stay at 50mph or slower, right? How bout getting another inch or so wider steel wheel with 5X100 bolt pattern and offset to fit the PT then a little bit wider tire with the correct height. Wouldn't that allow for higher speeds than the spare, and might even fit in the spare tire carrier if it wasn't too big? So you'd end up with something bigger than the spare but not quite as big as a regular size wheel/tire. Just a thought.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Guys, first I have to apologize, I got off my ass,put a tarp down and looked under the cars end, now I realize the big problem, also no chain holding up the wheel,I should know better than to believe a salesman. I didn't realize you could drive on a tyre that was narrower as well as 3inches smaller in diameter,I definitely wouldn't put it on the front.I did a few measurements, a full size tyre should still be 2inches higher than the rear axle frame and will need to be moved slightly to the drivers side to centre the void properly.If and when I get it done I'll take a pic and post it,Cheers.